The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 09:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ice Fishing & Anti-Doping

Move over Lance, it's the World Ice Fishing Championship
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/sp...each.html?_r=0
Quote:
“We do not test for beer, because then everybody would fail,”
Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ice Fishing & Anti-Doping

Got to watch out for those heavy HGH users! Gives them an unfair advantage on the hookset and lift out of the hole! Dang cheaters! Haha!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That's the funniest thing I have read in months. Busted a chess player for doping. Not only do you have to wnder why he did it, but what the heck do they care for? It's chess, not football. The heaviest chess pieces I ever saw, an infant could toss across a room like a lawn dart. By the way, it was also the funniest chess pieces I ever saw as well. South Park chess pieces with the Queens being Big Gay Al.

I did many years of checking ice fishermen on Lake of the Woods. I can testify to the fact "nobody would pass if tested for beer". One time I went into a house and asked for thier fish. They were so stinking drunk they had trouble getting out of their seats. I decided for safety to go farther than normal from the house to dump the bucket and check them. I didn't far enough. This guy weaves his way up to me, looks over my shoulder. He then weebled wobbled and tried not to fall down. He failed. He went down landing on my back and at the same time grabbing the rear view mirror on my snowmobile. I got shoved into a pile of fish and he yanked the mirror right off my sled.

That's OK. I never went slow enough to worry about what's behind me anyway.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:01 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've only ice fished a few times & that was many, many years ago. We don't get that much ice here. I used to work for a road construction contractor & we would push snow in the winter. Some of us carried pints of flavored Rum or Brandy to ward off the cold. I liked Black Berry or Peach Brandy. It didn't really make us warmer, we just thought it did. A pint would usually last several days, as it was used sparingly.

I can see limiting even the alcohol in such competitions, for no other reason than safety, and can understand the premise of anti-doping, but cannot understand why anyone would think it can give them an advantage for fishing.

However, when there's money involved, some will do anything I guess!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
I can see limiting even the alcohol in such competitions, for no other reason than safety, and can understand the premise of anti-doping, but cannot understand why anyone would think it can give them an advantage for fishing.
The whole premise is pretty stupid isn't it.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I expected this to be from The Onion... not the NY Times