The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Alaskans to D.C.: Stop Pebble Mine From Destroying 14,000 American Jobs

Source: Trout Unlimited

Alaskans representing the voices of local residents, commercial fishermen, sportsmen, Alaska Natives, and business owners have descended on Washington this week to push for action on the stalled EPA process to protect Bristol Bay, Alaska’s sockeye salmon fishery and save 14,000 American jobs. The Pebble Mine, proposed by from a foreign mining conglomerate, will generate up to 10 billion tons of toxic waste at the headwaters of one of America’s most productive fisheries.

“After a year of delay, the 14,000 Americans whose jobs and livelihoods depend on Bristol Bay deserve to be heard,” said Tim Bristol, Director of Trout Unlimited’s Alaska Program. “The Environmental Protection Agency and the Obama Administration have studied this issue long enough, and it’s time to finally start a process that stops the Pebble Mine from becoming an Exxon Valdez on land. With unprecedented support from a bipartisan coalition of lawmakers, businesses and nearly 60% of Alaskans, the time to protect Bristol Bay and save American jobs is now.”

Anglo American, a foreign mining company of luxury metals with a record as one of the world’s biggest polluters, forms half of the Pebble Limited Partnership, which has said it plans to file a permit application for the mine this year. Its partner, Northern Dynasty, filed detailed plans with the SEC to build North America’s largest open-pit mine and the world’s largest earthen dam in Bristol Bay, Alaska, home to America’s most productive salmon streams.

An independent, scientific assessment has concluded that a mine similar to Pebble could discharge more than 10 billion tons of toxic waste in our water, destroying a $1.5 billion fishing industry that employs 14,000 Americans nationwide. Already, the threat of the toxic mine has led to widespread economic uncertainty and suppressed job-creating investments in the commercial fishing industry.

The EPA has the authority under the Clean Water Act to stop this mine, but only if it releases a revised watershed assessment and begins a long overdue comment period that will allow ordinary Americans to make their voices heard. The original draft watershed assessment was released nearly a year ago, yet the process has dragged into another year and another fishing season. Alaskans are now demanding action.

Unlike similar issues before the White House, the effort to save Bristol Bay commands broad support from Republican and Democratic lawmakers, 900 hunting and fishing groups, 26,000 retail food stores, 225 chefs and restaurant owners, and 22 jewelers like Tiffany and Co. that would actually benefit from the mine. Nearly 60% of Alaskans and 80% of Bristol Bay residents oppose the construction of Pebble Mine, particularly Alaska Natives who fear the destruction of their 8,000 year-old culture.

This week, the Save Bristol Bay Coalition will meet with officials from the EPA, Congress, and the White House to push for long-awaited action, and launch an ad campaign to tell Washington that it’s time to listen to the thousands of Americans whose jobs and livelihoods depend on the protection of Bristol Bay.

The ad urges the Administration to release the facts about the Pebble Mine and links to a take action page. It will run on Politico’s homepage today.
Commercial fishermen, sportsmen, and Alaska Natives who are in Washington this week are available for additional comment about the need to protect Bristol Bay from the job-destroying Pebble Mine.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alaskans to D.C.: Stop Pebble Mine From Destroying 14,000 American Jobs

TU is not a reliable source. Was there a vote actually by the people? Where did TU get it's "The people" from? They have moved to less Trout and more Politics, and this has the distinct smell of politics.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Alaskans to D.C.: Stop Pebble Mine From Destroying 14,000 American Jobs

This area is not heavily populated but they did have a vote. The outcome would have been enough to settle a presidential election but this is about mining and although the balloting was taken into consideration, the State Legislature is still debating whether to move ahead with this.

This is from Ktuu News:

[Copy]

Battle Over Pebble Mine Heats Up

by Jackie Bartz | October 18, 2011

One day after the votes were tallied for an initiative aimed at blocking the proposed Pebble Mine in Southwest Alaska, both sides are saying they are pleased with the outcome. The "Save our Salmon" initiative passed by a 34 vote margin, 280 to 246, according to Lake and Peninsula Borough unofficial election results. "I think its a real victory for the people of the affected region of Bristol bay," Art Hackney a spokesperson for Alaskans for Bristol Bay, an anti-pebble organization, said.

[End Copy]

I've never been to Bristol Bay but I no more welcome the Pebble Mine project there than I would if it were near the cabin. I fully understand the need for raw materials in this world but also believe that we simply can't tear up the entire planet because of that need. There is only one place like this on earth and it's Bristol Bay Alaska. If there were 60 or 70 places just like this I would say "why not" but there aren't 60 or 70.

I hope to go there one day and when I do it may be one of the only good fishing grounds left here for salmon. Our rivers and their salmon stocks are in trouble at this time. I don't mean they may be in trouble in the future, I mean now. No one seems to have answers as to why our king and silver salmon are disappearing but they are, and are doing so at an exponential rate.

Whatever the motive behind TU taking a position on this everyone is allowed to take one. I don't see a reason not to be very careful when risking the last great salmon stocks on the planet vs. a gold & copper mine is the issue being discussed.

I'm sorry but I don't mine. I fish and I'll probably do it until I die. If you give me a choice between the two I'm voting for the fish every time.
fysh, mcnerney, milt spawn and 4 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 05-10-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Removed the word 'politics' from post
Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone got a link to the environmental impact report? I have looked and from what I see it has not even taken place yet.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Funny the way things work, this just up on ADN: EPA says Pebble could wipe out salmon streams, wetlands | State News | ADN.com

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

thanks for the link ard!

casey

ARFE
Old 04-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Banned

I mean the actual impact study. The EPA has been anti anything that would bring the country any form of revenue for a while so I trust them less than TU. I mean the actual impact study.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:18 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Same Old Story we hear it all The Time where The Developers say everything is "Biased" against them.
All they seem to care about is lining their own Pockets with no respect for The Enviroment ,Damage to The Fisheries,Job Losses which would lead to The Closure of Many Lodges & Bussinesses,A very Sad Day.
We have just seen over here where certain Politicians have made 100s of millions of Dollars from Deals Done.
Brian.
Hardyreels, fysh, mcnerney and 2 others like this.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:01 AM
Banned

It seems there was no actual report and the EPA made a preliminary report that has been described as nonscientific, rushed, biased and innaccurate.

I think it would be best to allow the actual impact report to take place before we allow politics to to overrule reallity. When politics is allowed to own the narrative with out true facts you end up with more insane nonsense like the Polar Bear tripe.

Let them actually do the impact study and I mean the real one, then get your panties in a bunch.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:53 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

the bristol bay watershed is the biggest sockeye salmon spawning area in the world.
any kind of intrusion from the side effects of mining would be detrimental to say the least
i have countless friends who make their living fishing sockeye in bristol bay or/and working in lodges.
needless to say they are scared of what is going to happen.
Click the image to open in full size.

casey
fysh, milt spawn, dean_mt and 1 others like this.

ARFE