The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 05:24 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Orvis to Acquire the Scientific Anglers and Ross Reels Businesses from 3M

I don't know the ins and outs of the outdoor retailing industry, but this looks like a good situation for all involved. SA and Ross now have the fishing knowledge of Orvis at their disposal. Orvis has a built-in distribution channel for the newly acquired brands. I can see this being a very good marriage. The argument that Orvis may start moving Ross production overseas can be countered with the idea that Orvis could start producing private label reels domestically. I'm optimistic.
fysh likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Orvis to Acquire the Scientific Anglers and Ross Reels Businesses from 3M

Other good news of this is that Bruce Richards is back at SA. I wonder and hope SA and Orvis will give him the tools needed to update his once famous Casting Analyzer to todays technology.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Seems SA was doing just fine under 3M.. SharkSkin and the new Mastery Textured both released under 3M ownership and they both are some of the best lines on the market by far... I can't say anything as far as Ross Reels is concerned though.. Never owned one
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I own several Ross Reels and like them. Fantastic drags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
The argument that Orvis may start moving Ross production overseas can be countered with the idea that Orvis could start producing private label reels domestically..
What do you base the last part on? The way things are going, we are going to lucky if anyone makes anything in this country.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Dan,

From what i can tell, MOST of Orvis's stuff is from overseas.

Couple that with the salaries they pay in their retail operations, which, is close or at poverty levels kinda makes you wonder. The Walmart of fly fishing?? I hope not. I just chose not to be a part of it.

The business models are there, to design and manufacture right here in the states. I guess it all boils down to the bottom line or greed.

Just sayin....

Jim
Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

ross has already moved allot of their production overseas.
this merger, as it paines me to say, may well be the end
of ross as we know it
its gonna be an interesting time in our industry in the near
future to say the least

casey

ARFE
Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

The company I work for, as well as a local major ski producer are actually bringing jobs back home to the USA from China. It seems manufacturing issues, quality, design change delay, wage increases, and potential tax advantages are showing that's there are some advantages to being stateside.
I doubt the day will ever come that we see all our jobs come home, but it's nice to see potential changes coming.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this Orvis addition.
Hardyreels likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I don't know much about the industry so I'm guessing and hoping a bit here:

1. Ross makes reels in the US right? I owned one. Maybe Orvis will leverage those tools and workers to make some US reels. Do they make any reels in the US? I think all are currently made in S.Korean.

2. Yeah, I'm a bit of an Orvis fan. That includes some of their 'lifestyle' stuff. I've been told that when they develop a new rod they "borrow" money from their other retail sales (home/lifestyle) to develop it. I mean face it, there just aren't enough people buying fly gear to support the biz. Not that they need experienced fly fishing team members, but having a little more weight/credit/resources in that area can't hurt.

I suspect they'll play nice and let Ross and SA continue as they are and develop some new products labeled Orvis. Sounds good to me so long as they keep every person working for them employed.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

SA has been making Orvis's lines for them for decades, obviously that will continue. Orvis has been reel challenged for some time; a collaboration with Ross both in CO and Asia could improve both brands product. Jim LaPage is departing VT to be Pres. of SA/Ross. Jim, a long time highly accomplished Orvisite, was responsible for some great reels in the past like Ard's beloved Odyssey. Jackster revealses above that seminal designer, fly line guru, Bruce Richards, is coming out of retirement in Montana to re-join SA...this is major news.

Sceptical at first, I am becoming optimistic now.
Editor, jaybo41, kwb and 1 others like this.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I own several Ross Reels and like them. Fantastic drags.

What do you base the last part on? The way things are going, we are going to lucky if anyone makes anything in this country.
US manufacturing is growing. Made in USA is important to consumers, particularly younger people. There was a great article in Time Magazine a couple weeks ago. How ‘Made in the USA’ is Making a Comeback | TIME.com It talks about how the relative savings of outsourcing is dwindling as wages in China grow, and the strength of the Yen to the dollar increases. 3D printing is a big part of the new American manufacturing.