The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 12:27 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis to Acquire the Scientific Anglers and Ross Reels Businesses from 3M

I would have to agree that more manufacturing will return to the US. We all understand that as an country (economy) becomes rich it outsources manufacturing to a poorer country. What we don't realize is that WE ARE POORER THAN CHINA! Welcome home made in the USA labels, I'm not sure if I should smile or cry...
Guest1 likes this.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis to Acquire the Scientific Anglers and Ross Reels Businesses from 3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
There was a great article in Time Magazine a couple weeks ago. .
I would take anything writen by Rana Foroohar, or for that matter Time with a grain of salt. Have you researched her at all? I have.

In fact while I am asking, just how much does anyone actually bother to check about anything anymore? Lately I am starting to think it's pretty close to zero.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
US manufacturing is growing. Made in USA is important to consumers, particularly younger people. There was a great article in Time Magazine a couple weeks ago. How ‘Made in the USA’ is Making a Comeback | TIME.com It talks about how the relative savings of outsourcing is dwindling as wages in China grow, and the strength of the Yen to the dollar increases. 3D printing is a big part of the new American manufacturing.
yup.. can't wait for my "Made In The USA" replacement liver down the road....
Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'm retired Sr. Management, so lets get that behind us.

Every 'job' has a 'value,' that value must produce, in dollars, more that paid for same. And profit.

Example: you go in to a fast food place and ask for the 'dollar meal.' Do you really think it cost a 'dollar' (all in) to produce? Most industries run at a .03 to .05 profit margin (all in). Yes Boys and Girls, that's one half percent.

But they sell lots and lots of stuff so it adds up to 'big bucks.' In reality, the majority of working folks are in companies with well under 100 employees. (That's a fact Jack, and I invest in them almost every day.Check it out on your own.)

Starting on a 'rant' here so I'll leave it at that. But the two week pay cheque cashed? And you think the 'Boss' makes too much money?
Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
SA has been making Orvis's lines for them for decades, obviously that will continue.
I was under the impression that Orvis spent a huge amount of money on the equipment needed to manufacture their own lines and did so right here in the U.S.A.
I believe there is one major player making cores for fly lines but from everything I've read Orvis does their own coatings for their lines right in their own plants.
Being things change so much in the background in the fly fishing business world things might have changed but at least for a time a few years ago Orvis made their own lines.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

From my perspective, competition drives innovation. It makes no business sense to make a better/cheaper product, in order to beat the other guy, if you are the other guy.

That's not to say this doesn't make good business sense for Orvis. As a matter of fact, one might hope that it does indeed make very good business sense. Since there are now alot more eggs in one basket, you have to cheer for Orvis to make the right business decision, regardless of how cold blooded it may seem. If they don't they go out of business.

Business as with mother nature - survive and thrive, or become extinct.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-03-2013, 08:31 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Jackster, I don't live in Manchester or Roanoke but I do believe that SA has made nearly all Orvis lines since Orvis ceased using some Cortland lines decades ago. SA makes lines for lots of companies; Wulff, (formerly) Hardy, Cabelas, even Sage before Farbank acquired RIO from the Vincents. When SA introduced their slick AST coating, they chose not to offer it on re-branded lines so Orvis devised their own coating and applied it to their SA built lines (I have this from a credible source). Of course, Orvis's current "golf ball dimple" lines are obviously identical in texture if not taper to their source companies product.

Now, they need not concern themselves with these issues any longer...but will SA continue to make lines for Orvis's erstwhile competitors?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I would expect that Orvis might pursue a 4-pronged strategy: (1) keep the SA and Ross brands and distribution channels alive, but support R&D and marketing more vigorously than 3M was doing; (2) continue to do contract manufacturing for other brands in the industry as opportunities allow; (3) expand in-house manufacturing of Orvis-branded products; and (4) exploit efficiencies in higher-volume purchasing and shared vendor relationships. Ross and SA were not critical business lines for 3M overall, and Ross in particular appeared to be suffering, so Orvis ownership ought to be able to operate those businesses more successfully. The vertical integration opportunities for Orvis's own products are icing on the cake. But now they have to make it all work. Hopefully they have learned from their false starts with BFR and Redington, and the third time will be the charm.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Quote:

Now, they need not concern themselves with these issues any longer...but will SA continue to make lines for Orvis's erstwhile competitors?
Why not? Someone is going to make them, it might as well be SA. It's not as though SA could keep a competitor out of the market by refusing a manufacturing order. If they could, they would have refused those orders even before Orvis took over, because they already had their own brand to promote.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:54 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Jackster, I don't live in Manchester or Roanoke but I do believe that SA has made nearly all Orvis lines since Orvis ceased using some Cortland lines decades ago.

Instead of guessing, conjecture and hearsay I went right to Orvis to get the straight scoop. I knew they invested a huge sum of money to put their own coatings on cores they like almost everyone else procure from a certain source but to spend that money and not put what they bought to use just seemed odd for a company as large and old as Orvis. You generally don't last long or grow by being stupid.

I sent this to Orvis:
"I'm sticking my neck out in saying Orvis applies their own coatings and tapers on their fly lines because of the huge investment you made several years ago in doing that.
I haven't heard much lately about Orvis doing their own fly lines and now have to wonder.
With the 'net all abuzz with the Scientific Anglers purchase from Orvis everything probable will change but please, can you tell me if you still make your own lines here in the U.S. and if not when did you stop?"

To which Orvis replied:
"Nothing has changed in that respect. We still apply our proprietary coatings in our rod shop in Vermont."

I'm not certain what all this means now though with the SA purchase. and I really can't say if by 'coating' a surface finish is meant or the entire coating that goes from the surface to the core is meant. To be honest it doesn't much matter to me yet. It's just too soon to tell. I know what I like and use and as of now it's Rio and SA but now that Wulff also refined their coatings I'll definately get back into them too.
So many choices and so little cash.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:09 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

I'm a big fan of Orvis. I have bought their products, including clothes, for many years. Hint, the clothes are not that expensive if you by them on sale at the end of the season. After Christmas is a great time to shop at their stores.

When you own two well known brands, it would make no sense to incorporate them into yours and lose the identity of the acquired brands.