The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Orvis to Acquire the Scientific Anglers and Ross Reels Businesses from 3M

New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: Orvis to Acquire the Scientific Anglers and Ross Reels Businesses from 3M
Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis to Acquire the Scientific Anglers and Ross Reels Businesses from 3M

Very interesting read Paul, thanks for posting that up. And speaking of companies up for sale does anyone have any current info on Hardy? They've been 'on the block' for quite some time and not a peep as to a potential buyer

Fred
Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis to Acquire the Scientific Anglers and Ross Reels Businesses from 3M

In other news... Scientific Angler is offering 20% off on last season's plaid dog beds

Old 05-01-2013, 12:54 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Fred- I have been watching this also.

I haven't seen any of my trade publications in a couple of months...They have been on the block for a bit as you mentioned.

From what i understand, most of the issues where management. There sales looked strong. My thoughts are, the major problem has to be cash flow and lack of cross collateralization.(sp?)

Still interesting.

I am still digesting the Orvis situation. I am hoping this isnt the start of a trend.

NOT a big fan of Orvis, except for the great things they do on the conservation side.

Just sayin...

Jim
Old 05-01-2013, 02:42 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I can say this...

Those that I know that work for Scientific Anglers are extremely happy about this...

3M is simply put a massive corporation and I think it is the general consensus was actually hindering SA more so than helping them...
fysh, fredaevans and shotgunfly like this.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so sure that I am all that happy with this. SA has been a good brand and as often happens when this stuff occurs, you get the name but not the products. Orvis has been and continues to head in the direction of a clothing chain and hangs on to the fly stuff it seems, just because they can't figure out how to divorce themselves cleanly from us.

It isn't hard to find examples of these kinds of buyouts where the product and/or services have taken a dive on us. Worse yet is when these kinds of buyouts put the buyer in a less cash rich position, and any hit in the period following the buyout, can put the company at risk of becoming insolvent. I can see at least a half dozen things that could end in a less than good way for us, the end consumer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
NOT a big fan of Orvis, except for the great things they do on the conservation side.
Not an Orvis fan either. I looked into their conservation efforts after seeing your comment. Other than a mild bit of partnering with TU, who I distrust with every fiber in my being, they seem to be pretty good eggs in that respect.

Last edited by Guest1; 05-01-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:46 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Fly lines have to be such a small part of the business that 3M does overall I would expect good things to come out of this.
I recall when SA (3M) bought a few of the finest companies in the U.S. that manufacture fly fishing gear and spit them out in a very short time, never to be seen from again (non-compete clause?) except one of those companies who, many years later, started ramping up production of exquisite and inventive fly reels again.
I'm actually a bit geeked about this. For one I might feel good about buying Orvis reels again and a fly fishing company buying a fly fishing company seems to take things a step higher than bean counters buying relatively successful companies to drain the name and assets. Just a thought on why Ross was sold so soon after they were purchased by an investment group. In my mind I can see their new owners telling them to build in China and Ross telling them to go pound sand. Again, this is all in my imagination but it does seem plausible, no?
Having a very nice Orvis corporate store near me I can completely understand why Orvis markets the clothing that they do. This store is in a very high-zoot area where average clientele looks like the type who wouldn't blink about paying what they do for clothes. The markup on that stff must be quite handsome. In fact, I know a very famous wader manufacturer who also markets high priced 'lifestyle' clothing most likely because the rewards are so great yet no one calls them to task for doing so.
Since Orvis has been making fly fishing gear since the 1850's one would think they might know a bit about the business and the market. I know that Orvis is a name I can trust to back up everything they sell. This lessens the pain if you happen to buy a product that is a dog.
I would much rather see this scenario than have SA and Ross simply die or fade away.
Here's to a long and happy marriage between all of the great brands! Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:18 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

This is interesting, thanks for posting it Paul.

From the read of the article, it sounds as though Orvis' immediate plans are to continue to produce products under all brand names. I for one hope it stays that way and the American jobs stay in America. Who knows, this could lead to more jobs being created, and maybe more manufacturing here in the US. I'm hopeful of that anyway. I'll let time tell the tale.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:44 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

This has to be the 'story of the day;' hard to find a board that has anything to do with fishing that this hasn't been posted up.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:58 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I hope this all works out in the end and SA as well as Ross stay the way they are or move forward in a positive direction.

It would be Silly for Orvis to end the production of Ross and SA products for more than one reason:

1. Bad PR
2. They would loose a chunk of potential sales from Ross and SA to Rio, Airflo, Galvan, Nautilus, etc..... since a lot of people buying SA and Ross would refuse to switch over to Orvis products.

Just two reasons off the top of my head. I hope they do well continuing the Ross and SA tradition.