The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 07:28 PM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage Announces New Fly Fishing Collection

Never been a fan of the sage fast action taper and their reels have always been good but nothing that really stands out. But I do look forward to testing out their new products as I always welcome a change of a heart!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:05 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

METHOD: Sages DNA is synonymous with fast-action rods, and through Konnetic technology, weve taken seriously smooth, ultra-fast action performance to a new place entirely, Sage Chief Rod Designer, Jerry Siem.

As Siem says, Sage's DNA, going back to RPL(+), is seriously fast fly rods. Maximum sensitivity and responsiveness, critical in technical presentation, is achieved through low mass and extremely fast recovery so every subtle angler input to the rod's tip is transmitted to the movement of the fly line. As in an advanced sport car, low unsprung weight in a tuned, taught suspension yields precision road connection and feel. You may not wish to commute to work in such a car nor swing caddis pupa with such a rod. There are plenty of rods for shock absorption angling; Scott's "G", Orvis has many mid and full-flex models and all those Winstons, just as there are rides from Buicks to Benzes providing compliant comfort. For the compound presentation dry fly angler or flats fly fisher, a rod like this TCX replacing Method may be the best thing from Sage since the glorious ONE. I have yet to see one and I will await an in-person experience before forming an opinion about a radical red rod but this is exciting news to this quick recovery fly rod fan.

I am surprised that so few advocates of high performance rods have weighed in on this news release yet many who enjoy rods that flex into the cork have expressed their disappointment. As if Sage; Circa and LL anomalies aside, gained fame for producing such slower timing rods.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

And the new reels, at least in the images posted here, appear to feature spring steel protected rims as devised by the great Ari't Hart of Holland. With their stacked carbon disc drag system, dual rim palming surfaces and protective partial framing they may well represent notable improvement over Sages existing well respected models.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Was really hoping for something between the Circa and the One featuring Konnetic technology, but probably won't see that until the VXP sales tapper off
I couldn't agree more! My Sage One will cast to the back side of the moon, but I don't normally fish there, I too was hoping for something in between the One and Circa. Oh well, there is always next year.
yonder likes this.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I am surprised that so few advocates of high performance rods have weighed in on this news release
---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

And the new reels, at least in the images posted here, appear to feature spring steel protected rims as devised by the great Ari't Hart of Holland. With their stacked carbon disc drag system, dual rim palming surfaces and protective partial framing they may well represent notable improvement over Sages existing well respected models.
Frankly, a long time ago I got tired of the Sage flavor-of-the-month marketing. I don't mind fishing with classic rods with classic actions and really don't need a rod because it has a new marketing buzz-word in its description or because it was slightly changed over last years finest rod ever made. Besides, losing half of the rods value because they're being closed-out a short while after their introduction is a game I would rather not play.
Sag has, without a doubt, the best marketing in the business. Hype and hoopla aside, when they introduced a new model I could always find the attributes they claimed to bring to the market were already readily available by other rod makers. Sag did own the market on too-fast rods that needed to be over lined to be appreciated by mere mortals but that was about as original as I would give them credit for. Heck, it took them over a decade to finally latch on to using a graphite scrim like the true classic Loomis GLX's.

Reels. I would consider their reels if they would consider making them in the same country they make their rods in. Their reels are WAY overpriced for what one should pay for a reel made where they are. Other reel makers can make superb reels right here and price them an a par or below what Sag charges. I guess just having the name Sag on them allows them to elevate the price but then Sag really isn't in the business of manufacturing clothing or reels. That's marketing again.

So put me down in the 'meh' list for yet another in a long list of new Sag
rods.
alexs and troutnut4 like this.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:30 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Sage just needs to bring back the SP and be done with it.
utah daveii likes this.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

So, what's getting discontinued?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:23 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
So, what's getting discontinued?
If history proves anything just stay tuned.