The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   News & articles for discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/)
-   -   Vapen Red Wins Best Fly Rods at EFTTEX (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/news-articles-discussion/322470-vapen-red-wins-best-fly-rods-efttex.html)

Editor 06-17-2013 09:42 AM

Vapen Red Wins Best Fly Rods at EFTTEX

New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: Vapen Red Wins Best Fly Rods at EFTTEX

runningfish 06-17-2013 05:31 PM

Re: Vapen Red Wins Best Fly Rods at EFTTEX

Finally, fly rods with rubber synthetic handle. I like the modern look of it. Gonna try to get one. Anyone interested in Helios 905-4 Mid? :)

ryu1er 06-18-2013 12:08 AM

ewwww lol im so not feeling that handle. it has too much of a golf club look. :teef:

Editor 06-19-2013 05:02 AM

LOL - yes it's definitely a love it or hate it look and they have cleverly decided to also offer the same rod with a normal cork handle too. ;)

I'd like to try one out in saltwater, particularly in the surf/flats where hands are constantly getting wet.

fly_guy12955 06-19-2013 09:27 AM

If it ain't cork,,rest assured, I don't want it. That handle looks like a two headed baby or some werid stuff.

planettrout 06-19-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Editor (Post 564924)
New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: Vapen Red Wins Best Fly Rods at EFTTEX

In a word - UGLY

PT/TB :p

Jackster 06-19-2013 09:18 PM

Usually the saying 'form follows function' works for me. Carbon fiber reel seats were fine with me because they weren't just cosmetic, they shaved weight. Another adage from the old street rod days, 'if it don't go, chrome it' also has merit. That grip though... I dunno man... does it come in cork color?
Is that grip different just to be different or does it have benefits that cork doesn't?

alexs 06-19-2013 09:30 PM

I would like to see weight "shaven" in the top half of the rod, not at the handle.
Anyhow, it's but ugly.... I won't spend my $$$ it.
Tight lines,
Alex

dean_mt 06-20-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackster (Post 565574)
Usually the saying 'form follows function' works for me. Carbon fiber reel seats were fine with me because they weren't just cosmetic, they shaved weight. Another adage from the old street rod days, 'if it don't go, chrome it' also has merit. That grip though... I dunno man... does it come in cork color?
Is that grip different just to be different or does it have benefits that cork doesn't?

Considering how difficult it is to get really good cork and how freaking expensive the good stuff is - $3+ per 1/2" ring for true Flor grade - I'd guess one of advantages is cost savings.

I don't mind the looks actually. I don't really want a fire engine red grip, but I could see it looking good in black or charcoal on a custom rod.

stuie675 06-20-2013 02:14 AM

I actually kind of like it. May have to give this a try.