The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Vapen Red Wins Best Fly Rods at EFTTEX

New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: Vapen Red Wins Best Fly Rods at EFTTEX
Old 06-17-2013, 05:31 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Vapen Red Wins Best Fly Rods at EFTTEX

Finally, fly rods with rubber synthetic handle. I like the modern look of it. Gonna try to get one. Anyone interested in Helios 905-4 Mid?
Old 06-18-2013, 12:08 AM

ryu1er is on a distinguished road

ewwww lol im so not feeling that handle. it has too much of a golf club look.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:02 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough

LOL - yes it's definitely a love it or hate it look and they have cleverly decided to also offer the same rod with a normal cork handle too.

I'd like to try one out in saltwater, particularly in the surf/flats where hands are constantly getting wet.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:27 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

If it ain't cork,,rest assured, I don't want it. That handle looks like a two headed baby or some werid stuff.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:06 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor View Post
New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: Vapen Red Wins Best Fly Rods at EFTTEX
In a word - UGLY

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-19-2013, 09:18 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Usually the saying 'form follows function' works for me. Carbon fiber reel seats were fine with me because they weren't just cosmetic, they shaved weight. Another adage from the old street rod days, 'if it don't go, chrome it' also has merit. That grip though... I dunno man... does it come in cork color?
Is that grip different just to be different or does it have benefits that cork doesn't?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 PM

alexs will become famous soon enough

I would like to see weight "shaven" in the top half of the rod, not at the handle.
Anyhow, it's but ugly.... I won't spend my $$$ it.
Tight lines,
Alex
Old 06-20-2013, 12:19 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Usually the saying 'form follows function' works for me. Carbon fiber reel seats were fine with me because they weren't just cosmetic, they shaved weight. Another adage from the old street rod days, 'if it don't go, chrome it' also has merit. That grip though... I dunno man... does it come in cork color?
Is that grip different just to be different or does it have benefits that cork doesn't?
Considering how difficult it is to get really good cork and how freaking expensive the good stuff is - $3+ per 1/2" ring for true Flor grade - I'd guess one of advantages is cost savings.

I don't mind the looks actually. I don't really want a fire engine red grip, but I could see it looking good in black or charcoal on a custom rod.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:14 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I actually kind of like it. May have to give this a try.