The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Pure Fishing Acquires Hardy and Greys

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Won't be long before access to Hardy will improve, expect to see them in Walmart before long.

Dave
Dave,

You used to be an optimist or so it seemed. Perhaps you might try to look to the positive on this. I believe that this buy is an investment by the buyer into the brand. I don't see this as a venture capital takeover. I would be shocked if an investor with the funds to purchase Hardy Tackle would try to make it a Wal Mart product line. Right now there seems to be a balance that has been reached with both the product line produced in S. Korea and the Alnwick product line. Those seeking the Hardy brand at a reduced cost have the Asian products and for the purist there are the British products.

Time will tell but I will consider the glass half full until I hear it hit the floor.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Dave,

You used to be an optimist or so it seemed. Perhaps you might try to look to the positive on this. I believe that this buy is an investment by the buyer into the brand. I don't see this as a venture capital takeover. I would be shocked if an investor with the funds to purchase Hardy Tackle would try to make it a Wal Mart product line. Right now there seems to be a balance that has been reached with both the product line produced in S. Korea and the Alnwick product line. Those seeking the Hardy brand at a reduced cost have the Asian products and for the purist there are the British products.

Time will tell but I will consider the glass half full until I hear it hit the floor.

Ard
The entire Pure line is sold at Walmart and don't know why Pure would want to change a successful strategy. Expect to see the Hardy Grey line in the box stores and don't see anything wrong with that. The English made equipment will be interesting to watch and the Korean products will probably be downgraded but to what extent who knows.

Why the personal attack?

Dave
Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

I am personally a fan of both brands, Hardy/Greys. I have been following this one ...like most..for a while.

It's hard to believe they would cheapen the brand.

Now, if they would improve the distribution channel...and now, they that capability. They might see some positive results. None of the shops...and i have 7 within an hr, carry any of there rods/reels. The one shop listed as a dealer had to order my rod. They had NOTHING in stock.

Hoping we see nothing but good out of it.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:12 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

its hard for me to imagine a hardy fly reel alongside a berkley fly combo
at wally world

casey

ARFE
Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

I dont think that will ever happen.

Thats what Cortland is for....
Old 07-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Why the personal attack?

Dave
Dave,

If you view what I said as some sort of an attack you are quite confused. I simply said what I said with no ill will at all.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-04-2013, 05:55 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Dave,

If you view what I said as some sort of an attack you are quite confused. I simply said what I said with no ill will at all.
LOL, now I am a confused former optimist!

Dave
Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

After having stewed on this for a few days I have some additional thought. A sale was inevitable, we all knew it was bound to happen. While I wish the buyer would have been a company with more fly fishing roots, it is done. I am hopeful the new ownership realizes they have a jewel in Hardy and they don't devalue the brand as it seems they've done with others. I'd think that'd be foolish, but what do I know. I'd like to think that the former owners were selective in nature to ensure that a buyer would do their part to make the brand live on with he dignity it deserves. Perhaps more wishful thinking on my part. Sometimes change is good, I am hoping the inevitable changes forthcoming lead to a strong, successful brand that in many ways stays true to its roots.

Who knows what will happen, it'd be nothing but speculation/assumption on my part to assert comments on what this means for Hardy-Greys. I'm hoping that things continue to operate for the most part as they had been but with improvements where needed. Put me in the glass 1/2 full camp but with a watchful and cautious eye.

The only thing I can say with the utmost certainty is this sale makes me treasure my Alnwick made Hardys that much more.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:20 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

I also have stewed over this since the initial announcement by the company to sell it's business. My fear is that Hardy will loose the respect it has earned over the 140 years in production. I cannot see any "dyed in the wool" Hardy fan (and I am one) happy with this announcement. Large holding companies like this buyer gobble up distressed names in the hope of adding to their bottom line and use them to supplement the earnings of other less profitable divisions. On the other hand, I am encouraged by the recent announcement received from Hardy (N America) that Hardy is in the process of bringing back the production of their classic reels, such as the Bougle to the UK. Maybe there is hope for Hardy yet.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:23 PM

silvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the rough

I hate to sound like such a skeptic...its really not my nature at all... are there really going to be awesome reels coming out of this? if so I would love a new LRH LW...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/