The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 09:50 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Pure Fishing Acquires Hardy and Greys

With every one of the buyouts like this I can't help but feel some of the 'fire in the belly' that built and kept companies like this rolling for so long will be lost to bean counters and number crunchers who will try to wring every cent they can out of the name in the shortest amount of time possible.
I often wish the big dogs would leave the smaller companies alone but after a few generations the brains and brawn that brought these small companies to life are long gone and new age 'business' people who can't see further than the next quarter take over and spit out a shell.
I'm old enough and have been in the manufacturing end of things long enough in many different types of businesses to have seen the joy and pride a well made, ingenious product brings to the producer of that product. Now the joy seems to be in counting shekels.
Let's just hope someone at Pure Fishing saw more in Hardy than what I so pessimistically described above.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Try to think positive Jack, you're bringing me down with the possibilities. If the folks at Pure read forums they would know that there are some, actually quite a few of us who don't want a cheap reel. Some, perhaps many don't want to get their fly fishing equipment at big box stores. Maybe, just maybe this will just be a change of ownership and the product lines will be unchanged.

I am not wealthy in terms of cash but I have owned and still own a lot of fairly expensive fly tackle. Some things I saved for and other things I bought through 'Lay Away Plans' with shops in years gone by. Even though companies like Hardy made tens of thousands of CFO and Lightweight Series reels they were never cookie cutter common on the rivers and streams I fished. While I will not disparage low cost tackle or those who seek it (I have a bunch of that too) I like my eccentric Hardy tackle and will hold out hope that some marketing guru doesn't take the shine off the apple.

Ard
fredaevans, jaybo41 and troutnut4 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-04-2013, 10:50 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Pure Fishing is an American company, so what this likely means is Hardy/Greys is going to grow their business here. Hardy has a lot of opportunity for sales growth in North America without reducing their price, and I'm sure that's what Pure Fishing is interested in. I don't see them making any big changes to the product lineup or manufacturing in the near future.
Editor and jaybo41 like this.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Now That's What I'm Talking About!

Exactly what I've been wanting to hear, no drought, no flooding, just a nice mix of weather. Maybe I can get a sales rep position here, my new Marksman handles salmon beautifully ................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-05-2013, 06:27 AM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
Pure Fishing is an American company, so what this likely means is Hardy/Greys is going to grow their business here. Hardy has a lot of opportunity for sales growth in North America without reducing their price, and I'm sure that's what Pure Fishing is interested in. I don't see them making any big changes to the product lineup or manufacturing in the near future.
Hardy (North America) set up shop in Lancaster PA back in 2008. I am curious why they weren't able to grow sales more rapidly, was it because of the "Made In the USA" only attitude, pricing, or brand loyalty ?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I like your optimism and am hopeful you are spot on.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:41 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
Hardy (North America) set up shop in Lancaster PA back in 2008. I am curious why they weren't able to grow sales more rapidly, was it because of the "Made In the USA" only attitude, pricing, or brand loyalty ?
I couldn't speculate without knowing what their operation stateside does. As a retailer, I can tell you that working with companies based outside of the US can be difficult even if they have US offices. It can be difficult to get product, and if they're inefficient the cost of shipping is stupid expensive (sometimes more than the cost of the product).
Old 07-05-2013, 09:10 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I couldn't speculate without knowing what their operation stateside does. As a retailer, I can tell you that working with companies based outside of the US can be difficult even if they have US offices. It can be difficult to get product, and if they're inefficient the cost of shipping is stupid expensive (sometimes more than the cost of the product).

Soooo hear you. The Folks on the 'Mother Board' can buy anything on line (credit card numbers work anywhere). Fellows have it sent to me and I'll forward on (no one on e-bay, and most regular retailers want to go through the hassle of shipping International). The price to mail a few ounces of 'box' to the UK is breathtaking.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone know what will happen to Howard Croston and Jim Murphy? If they continue to set the agenda for the company, it will do fine, especially if the new parent gives them more R&D money, wider distribution channel access, and more decision making authority than they had under the old ownership. If those guys are leaving, though, the place will be adrift.
sweetandsalt likes this.