The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 07:33 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Theft at Twin Bridges Fly Fishing Shop

Having just returned from Montana, including a brief stop in Twin, I find this report incredible. My partner and I camp, as we have for decades, on public land with a full set up: tents, two burner, high BTU stove, sun shade, coolers full of thick steaks and beverages...no one ever messes with our stuff even though it is out there in plain sight for plenty of other anglers and recreationists to see. I like to think of that country as "The Last Best Place" where folks are friendly, honest (except about fish size and numbers) and helpful to one another. Strangers wave hello from their trucks as they pass your camp.

I would like to see all higher end rods and reels serial numbered and registered by the maker as to the shop or individual purchaser. I know of a guy who left his valuable, hand made reel on a picnic table and after months of kicking himself for his own carelessness, found it listed on the auction site. They, the finder nor the purchaser had any interest in assisting the actual owner. Not theft of course but hardly the generosity of spirit one hopes to encounter among one's fellow fly fishers. And that too was in Montana.
mcnerney, fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:52 PM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

As somebody who is from a large urban area where this kind of criminal activity sadly is all-to routine, this is even more stunning considering that Twin Bridges is a place, maybe one of the "last few places" in this country, where one would think they can escape for awhile to avoid such things.
Now on a kinda a down personal note here, the last time I was in Twin Bridges which was 2 year ago, right before I visited this particular Fly Shop which was burglarized I was shopping in the grocery store across the street and down the block where the guy at the cash register ripped me off on change for a twenty.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:42 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like Twin Bridges is becoming one of those lawless frontier towns. Where are Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday when you need them?

Last edited by moucheur2003; 07-26-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:00 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Is there a way for the shop owner to ID the missing merch? If so, p'raps he could make an area on his web site where people could paste sales ads of like gear for follow up.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 07-26-2013, 03:44 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Theft at Twin Bridges Fly Fishing Shop

Hell of it is, this stuff will be sold 'on line' and the seller will probably buy 'drugs' of some kind.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:10 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
Is there a way for the shop owner to ID the missing merch? If so, p'raps he could make an area on his web site where people could paste sales ads of like gear for follow up.

Aren't Winstons serial numbered?
Old 07-27-2013, 06:47 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Aren't Winstons serial numbered?
Yes. So are Sage, St. Croix, and some others.

Some of them (Sage ONE, for example) are very difficult to see, but they're on there.
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by plecain; 07-27-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:55 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Odds are it won't be anyone who was raised in the area, the automobile is the greatest invention ever given to a thief. Sad, but the tourism small towns promote also brings in the undesirables.

Dave
Old 07-27-2013, 03:11 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

I feel real bad for the guy. That's a big loss but I'm sure the thief will be caught sooner or later while leaving a bad trail of online sales. I'm sure his business insurance will cover this.

Now on to the tough love part:

A similar instance happened earlier this year (as per the article). Its 2013 now and you can't just blow off when the first sign arrives. He should have taken all necessary steps to burgler proof his shop after the first time.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-28-2013, 09:46 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Here is another link that states what was stolen, but no serial numbers.
Twin Bridges fly-fishing shop hit for $20,000