The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Warranty system

Quote:
Originally Posted by nir View Post
I would be curious to know what is the cost of minor repairs on a rod... Even High end ones.
The only repairs that I know can be made are few, I'll name some.
Loose reel seat > fixable
Loose guide > fixable
You broke an inch off the tip top > fixable

That's the short list, there are other minor things that an owner can handle but if you snap a section of a 4 piece rod there is no fixing that.

Warranty has never influenced my choice of fly rods, not even once. If I were to break a rod, that would be traumatic. Regardless of whether it had a lifetime replacement or not it would be my rod and it would be broken.

Take a look at the broken rod poll we have here and you can quickly see how most end up broken. I am ordering some new rods for next year soon and the warranty only matters if there is something wrong with the manufacturing. Aside from that I'm not planning on sending them back.
jaybo41 and oarfish like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-29-2013, 02:35 PM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Take a look at the broken rod poll we have here and you can quickly see how most end up broken.

Wow, I was surprised to see how that the majority of broken rods were due to carelessness. I guess I have a hard time understanding that because I am a a little OCD when it comes to caring for my stuff.

I can also add that I am more than new to the sport having not completed my first season of fly fishing! hehe My opinions may change over time! Heck, I have never broken a rod (yet)...
Old 08-29-2013, 03:01 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Be careful saying you never broke a rod...I used to say I never hit a deer with my car...ten deer ago!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:29 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nir View Post
Wow, I was surprised to see how that the majority of broken rods were due to carelessness. I guess I have a hard time understanding that because I am a a little OCD when it comes to caring for my stuff.
Many of us are very careful with our gear, but you can be carefull 99,999 times and the one time your not, things can go snap

Only downside of the warranty being limited to problems with the manufacturing is that it is generally up to the manufacturer's judgment. Had a rod snap the first time it was fished, not by a ferrule or near any threadwork or guides but in the top of the butt section. The guy didn't believe me that it hadn't been crushed. I don't know what happened to it on their end or in the mail but I know it wasn't crushed in my possession. thankfully it turned out fine, but I realized that if they didn't believe me I'd be out of luck and still had to pay some for shipping a blank I purchased that likely had a problem when it got to my doorstep.

That said I have no interest in paying for a life-time warranty that covers whatever stupid or accidental things I might do.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:43 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Like it or not, those of us who buy rods with a life time warranty are paying for it. For lower-end import rods probably not as much as a domestic premium rod but to have any manufacturer eat that cost is hard to imagine.
From a very early age I learned to take care of my toys. Laying a rod on the ground was grounds for a very stern talking to or worse.
Of all my rods and in all of my travels breaking a rod is something rare in my life.
What I can say for sure is, if loaning your gear out beware.
Of the very few times I had to return a rod to the manufacturer once was because a friend thought there should be no gap when the rod was assembled. Brute strength on his part eliminated the gap on the spigot ferrule which happened before these outlandish warranties. I sent the rod back to T&T fully prepared to pay for the repair but they wouldn't let me. With service like that who needs warranties?
The next time was when I loaned a 6 weight rig to a friend heading out west. The scars on the reel should have told me something of his level of care for others gear but my first cast with the rod after getting it back confirmed I made a mistake. This time the no fault warranty covered it but if it didn't my friend and I would have had a talk.
The last time was when I got a new rod that had the reel seat slightly out of alignment. For the price I paid this was unacceptable so I sent it back and was made right by the maker.
If given the option of lifetime warranty or not I would pass on it just as long as there was cost savings enough to help justify forgoing the warranty. I'm fairly certain the built-in cost I paid so far for those warranties cost me the ability to purchase another good rod or two.
A 'must have' that would let me slide on an extended warranty would be at least a one year warranty against defects in material and workmanship. Those two issues are beyond my control.
I love and feel I have the skill and eye to appreciate premium rods. They are simply priced beyond my comfort level these days so I've settled on using the rods I already have for now. I wish it wasn't that way but the manufacturers seem to be in some sort of vacuum that keeps them from realizing they've reached a point of diminishing returns on pricing for many of us in these challenging times. Perhaps making extreme warranties an option would gain them additional sales.
Hardyreels and nir like this.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:43 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I understand exactly what you mean. The problem though is that you and I have no choice. We buy the rod we like BUT we are charged a "hidden" fee for the warranty.

Not only that, those of us who live in a state with a sale's tax also pay a tax on the added cost for the warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

Warranty has never influenced my choice of fly rods, not even once. If I were to break a rod, that would be traumatic. Regardless of whether it had a lifetime replacement or not it would be my rod and it would be broken.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-31-2013, 02:39 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure if I actually have a dog in this fight: I'm going to have to get real lucky in the lotto before I'm shopping high end rods. That being said, you'll see, if you refer to the broken rod thread, that I have used a warranty to replace a tip that was probably my fault. The S&H was about half the price of the rod...around $25.
While reading through the thread you see a lot of comparisons to other products/warranties and I kept thinking that I think rods are different. So many have pointed out how easy it is to cause a catastrophic failure in a rod, especially in the dynamic environments we have to use them in. I'm afraid if I owned high end gear that wasn't well protected I'd be scared to get it wet.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 09-01-2013, 02:51 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Fly rods have been sold for over a 100 years without a no fault warranty. Were we oppressed all those years? Could WE not afford to fix what WE broke?

We'll do fine if the no fault warranty goes away and what we break becomes our responsibility to fix.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-11-2013, 04:42 PM

troutbum101 is on a distinguished road

I like rod warranty's. It does not stop me from buying new rods and I would never consider breaking a rod just so the supplier could replace it with the latest model. If you do that in IMHO you are scum, I also include trying to cash in on the warrenty on a second hand rod as a scum-ball move. I buy rods that cost a lot. I save for them. sometimes I have to wait a year to get a new rod I like.
When I have broke a rod ( two in the past two years/20+ years of flyfishing) I was glad for the warranty. Both were ORVIS and they stood behind their rods and I had new rods back in less than two weeks in both cases. Both cases were my fault. I am older and not as catlike as when I was young. I fell streamside and the rods broke on rocks. Orvis did not care how they broke. Good Company.

HOWEVER another company Eastern Mountain Sports's manager argued with me that there UNCONDITIONAL warrenty_( _If I EVER become dissatisified with their product they will fix or repair or replace it. It said that in writting on the tent pole bag. In writting. ll I wanted them to do was replace the streachy line that holds the poles together. Yea the line looses elasticity(bought the tent in 92) but it was in writting and the reason I bought there product)_should not count any more
First b/c I should expect the line to age.
Second because I had got my $$$ out of the product
Third becaues I should feel bad because that warrenty had caused EMS to go through backrupency a year ago.
I pulled up the def of unconditional on phone from a web page, then let him know LL bean had managed to have the same warranty forever and there doing fine.
Well he replaced the cord for free. (I was going to pay for it if he wasn't a gerk) I may not buy EMS anymore b/c a few friends said whenever they tried to have anything fixed they _the store_ would not cover it.

So long story short buy good rods Pay $$$ and be covered for 25 yrs or life. It is cheaper than a new rod when a wet rock gets the best of us. Oh, and buy a new rod every few years diff weight/length/casting style to keep the companies we love in business.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:51 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

There are three reasons I have only bought higher-end rods made in the USA:

1. Quality
2. They're made here
3. Lifetime warranty

If they eliminate the lifetime warranty, they had better drop the price on those things significantly. I haven't had to (knock on wood) take advantage of the warranty system on any of my rods. The first fly rod I bought (Sage VT2) had a defect on the reel seat that was apparent on the first outing (locking ring was jumping threads making reel loose after every cast).

The shop did not have another of the same weight in stock, so it was sent in under the warranty within 24 hours of purchase. Outside of that, I've been both careful and lucky. However, I have peace of mind that these companies back up their high-priced products.

-VB