The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 05:18 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warranty system

An honest question: why don't warranties apply to rods that have been resold? The company still got it's price for the rod which, if they planned well, would cover the warranty, the rod itself was not weakened or damaged by the sale. Perhaps the original owner used the money from the sale towards the new line as well!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Warranty system

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
An honest question: why don't warranties apply to rods that have been resold? The company still got it's price for the rod which, if they planned well, would cover the warranty, the rod itself was not weakened or damaged by the sale. Perhaps the original owner used the money from the sale towards the new line as well!
I know I'm very late to this conversation. I can think of a situation that would happen fairly frequently in the 3rd owner had a LT warranty. I am guessing the average customer of high end rods is typically a mature person. A 50 YO customer buys a high end $200 rod 25 years ago. Today the high end rod sells for $400 or possibly much, much more. This rod ends up at an estate sale, or perhaps the fisherman sells it for $100 as he can't fish anymore. The buyer is 25 YO and he is aware this old rod can be swapped for a new one for no charge, and he can enjoy 50 years of warranty. Sound far fetched? Perhaps it is, but I think this stuff would be on ebay in some quantity if you could get an upgrade and a LT warranty with any used rod purchase. Somebody would have to pay for this business model and it can be nobody but the new rod purchaser.

I wish a new high end rod was half the cost so I could buy one. I'd settle for a 5 year no questions asked warranty, then after that I gotta pay their true cost if I slam it in a car door for so many years. At some point, I got my money out of the rod and maybe they give me a discount on a new rod purchase for being loyal. With the current BIZ model some of them are going out of business. Perhaps not, but I don't see a market for $2000 flyrods in 10-20 years (or when the economy hits a hard bump) and out of biz is exactly where some of them may be headed if that happens (IMO).