The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Red face More on Warranties

Rethinking Fly Rod Warranties | Field & Stream
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More on Warranties

Interesting article....never seen such a rod tube
Old 09-19-2013, 02:30 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I have no issues with the way things work now.

If these companies want to change the rules all they have to do is change them. The rules are theirs, not ours.

Every rod I've purchased in the last decade has a full replacement deal because that's the better way to go right now and protect yourself from being unlucky or dumb...and all of them were purchased at deep discounts from retail, because I don't feel compelled to buy every new "must have" rod that comes out with a remarkable black hook keeper and nano-whatever.

I wonder how many anti trust laws they break in their discussions.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:04 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

I'd go for the 'buy-the-warranty-if-you-want-it' plan if the total MSRP+warranty is the same or (preferably) less than the current MSRP.

It would be especially helpful if the manufacturers offered a reasonably priced spare parts option.

As an example, I have four St Croix rods. St Croix has a 'spare tips' program. For $30, delivered, you can get a spare tip for your rod. You give them the model and serial number. They send the tip. I bought a spare tip for each rod. (This is a variant of the 'two-tips' option someone else mentioned.) For $120, I have spare tips for all those rods. I carry them all in a spare tube.

In addition, their warranty is very good. I sent in a rod about a month ago because the cork was beginning to twist. They replaced the cork in about two weeks door-to-door-to-door. This was clearly not damage I caused. This was a problem inside the cork. For this kind of problem, I'd expect manufacturers to continue to do the repairs, without a purchased warranty.
dakotakid and random user like this.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Wasn't aware of the St. Croix spare tip program and think it's a great idea. Will probably take advantage of this for two of my rods.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:04 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I like the way it works now also. If it were like a tv warranty I would still opt into it because I am a worry wart by nature. I wouldn't mnd the price of the rods coming down a tad though!

Randy
Old 09-19-2013, 09:16 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough
Default More on Warranties

This is mostly nonsense. You are not paying $600 for a rod and $200 for the average replacement. Factory rods simply do not cost $800 to build, especially those produced offshore.

A Redington CT I recently replaced under warranty was hardly worth the effort. I paid $80 for the rod, but $20 to ship it and $30 for the repair of the tip section. So I paid $50 for the tip of a rod that some company made a profit on by selling it for $80.

Companies do not lose money for warranties. They may charge more for them because of the illusion of value to the customer which allows them to markup the MSRP. I almost regret using the warranty.

I would be shocked if even an US factory rod cost more than $100 to produce. If you find a warranty valuable, great. If not, too bad. Don't expect rod companies to offer optional warranties for 33% less MSRP because they aren't charging you for the warranty. They are simply overcharging you and throwing in a warranty because its very cheap for them and convenient for most.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:50 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't be surprised to know a Made in the USA rod cost more than a $100 to make. You gotta take in all the costs. This ain't some guys planing bamboo to .001" like the days of old. Factories are now equipped with machines that spit out blanks and make the job 100x easier. Yet I'm sure the employees are getting paid out the wazoo to push buttons in these Made in Mmmerica factories. Once all the overhead is brought into play it's no surprise most USA rods cost $600 or more.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 AM

these go to 11 will become famous soon enough

If companies do away with warranties I doubt we'll see rod prices go down at all. The market has shown that people will pay the current prices, and manufacturers and retailers will find marketing voodoo to justify the current pricing structure. As a consumer, I can't see getting behind anyone who wants to do away with warranties. It may help some one's business, but it won't be the consumer. Companies have been finding ways of giving us less for more for years. Let's not complain about warranties and give them a rational for giving us less for more once again.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:36 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by these go to 11 View Post
If companies do away with warranties I doubt we'll see rod prices go down at all. The market has shown that people will pay the current prices, and manufacturers and retailers will find marketing voodoo to justify the current pricing structure.
We're making all this up anyway, but I'd think it would take some serious cojones for these companies to nix the warranty system and not drop or somehow "tier" pricing in response to the consumer. They are revenue driven and as long as the money waterfall is flowing they won't want to shut it off....

If Sage, for instance said we'll sell with a warranty for one price and without for less they risk less rev for the same rods...the cost of the warranty is after the fact and probably gives them both an additional revenue stream (processing fees) and a tax advantage as they write off the warranty expense. I'm no accountant, so maybe off the mark...but I'd be surprised if there aren't ways for them to take advantage of the ways things work that are beyond the simplicity of balancing a checkbook...

I'm guessing...maybe we have a CPA amongst us who knows...-Mike