The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 09:04 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about
Default Our Parks

With the recent issues so to speak with the government it is clear many people and programs are suffering from its consequences. Namely The National Parks Service which is is very disappointing. Our national parks are priceless valuable resources that have been designated as area for the people of the US and around the world to enjoy, but right now we can't and we dont know when we can . It has me thinking, What would happen to the national parks if it was no longer presided over by the government? Would they fall apart and become wastelands? Or do think it is possible for them to be managed at the state level, by people who similarly manage some state parks. Im just interested at the long term consequences for our parks system.
This is not meant as a fiery political debate, Im simply interested in consequences and possible alternatives that might benefit our parks and natural resources. Being a college student very much interested in and focused on conservation I can see some negative impacts this could have in the long run.
double d likes this.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Our Parks

Moderators: I am exercising great restraint.

California State Parks taking over Yosemite National Park & Lassen Volcanic National Park?

Bad Idea.
TT
double d and bquick like this.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Controlled by the states, some would be improve, some would become a complete train wreck IMO. As imperfect as it may be, probably better leave this one alone.
double d likes this.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:58 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think things would change much for the back-country adventurer, but there would probably be less amenities for those seeking a less exciting experience.

Dave
double d and navezgane like this.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:07 PM

double d is on a distinguished road

The National Parks were created by the Federal Government, but wow-now they are suffering because of the recent gov. problems in D.C. Not sure if states can staff and budget National Parks or for long. Good posting.

"It is ourselves that we conquer, not the mountain." Sir Edmund Hillary, 1959
Old 10-03-2013, 04:16 AM

navezgane will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I don't think things would change much for the back-country adventurer, but there would probably be less amenities for those seeking a less exciting experience.

Dave
I agree. Just leave the gates open for me, knowing that if I get in trouble there will be no one to come save me, or at least no federal assistance, which I would be fine with.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default People, People, People ... Take a deap breath here for a moment.

The National Parks are owned by American People, NOT the Federal Government. They just administer/maintain same, for which we pay with our 'taxes.'

Best thing I saw today was a group of Congressmen going over to the WW2 Vet's Memorial and pulling away the barricades. "Our Greatest Generation," who would be in their 80's and 90's, were to be refused access .......

Last edited by fyshstykr; 10-03-2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Unnecessary political reference.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:01 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

How about this. We have the NPS relocate the next few rouge bears to the floor of the house and Senate. And hey, security is furloughed, too bad. Problem solved.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Please gentlemen, let's keep the thread on topic.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 AM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The National Parks are owned by American People, NOT the Federal Government.
This is what Im most upset about, even people who would be willing to volunteer to help out for a short period of time cannot do that to help maintain the parks. In general I would think park workers and rangers did not choose they're jobs because they pay great, but because they enjoy and appreciate what and who they work for, the people.
The Parks system provide opportunities for people from all backgrounds and all ages to enjoy. I would argue for me personally they largely contribute to my American dream. Think about how other countries don't have the same brilliant resources and opportunities, where natural habitats are maintained and preserved by dedicated people. I hate to see this part of America suffer, and it concerns me that resources that cant simply be replaced are in fragile hands.