The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 05:51 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage Rod

Do you think part of the early rational for these over-generous warranties was to combat the early perception, deserved or not, that graphite rods tended to blow up compared to fiberglass which seemed to last forever, even when mistreated?
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:12 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

Interesting topic, I would like to put my two cents in and see what you guys think, this is all from a hypothetical stand point.

Most rod companies are giving warranties to the original owner. A lot of people out there will upgrade and sell the older rod to someone or give it away. A lot of others keep it for sentimental reasons and so on.

So my first point is, if the rod is resold the warranty is no longer valid, that is if you have registered it which most people do as they have a clause stating that the rod has to be registered within a certain amount of time.

For the manufacturer to produce a rod in large quantities is not the same as what your cost is to produce the equivalent rod. With that said, Just to throw some numbers out there and use Orvis as an example. I bet a Helios 2 might cost them $50-$100 to produce on a mass scale (they make thousands of these) for several years. If they sell them and leave 50% profit to a fly shop. If the rod costs $795 minus the initial $100 (on the high end) = $695/2= $347.50 profit for Orvis and $347.50 profit for the fly shop at 50/50 split.

Most rods break the tip, which is probably cheapest to make out of all 4 section. Assuming the butt section is the most expensive lets say $40, $30, $20, $10 for the tip. With a $50 dollar fee that is generating a profit. They ship their stuff out for dirt cheap as they ship in large quantities, they have already pre-made all these sections so all it takes now is someone to grab it package it and ship it, about 10 minutes per customer, lets say they ship 6 rods/repairs per hour, they still generate $300 per hour minus roughly $100 cost for parts and employee, they are in the plus.

Now I know you are going to say rods are not that cheap and the guides are expensive and so on, but think of the quantities that these companies buy the raw materials in, they would not be in business if they did not make a profit.

I know I threw some numbers out there that you might argue, but get past those and look at the bigger picture, their warranty is a huge selling point and attracting you the customer to them and providing an amazing service will practically guarantee you buying their product again.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:39 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I NEVER take the warranty into serious consideration when buying a new rod. Aesthetics are very relevant as is build quality and components but far and away my principle decision is based on performance and casting characteristics experienced by me first hand.

Not that I have actual numbers but when talking to rod manufacturers I am always surprised by the small production runs on individual models they reveal they are doing. "Oh yes, we have eight of those 4-weights being built right now."
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:58 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I have fished Sage rods for more than forty years, and have never had one "blow up".
They have had tips snapped off, been slammed in doors, speared by streamers, dropped from the top of moving cars, bruised from supersonic split-shot, etc......breakage period, they don't care how it happened.
Seriously, they are well made if pricey....
Have used the warranty more than few times, and therefore consider it of value.
Especially when a well loved, twenty+ year old rod, has experienced grief.
If you fish a lot, and perhaps value your fly rod(s) above all other tools in your life, then their warranty is worth it's weight in gold ...
(Give or take...)Fifty bucks is cheap for a repair/replace....
Clearly I side with Sweet and salt as far as the function/action of a tool comes first.
I could fish a closet dowel, and save a ton......(no really) but as far as I know, the best tools are never cheap....
Could be, you guys need to see a video of the process, rods made in the USA by hand, not machine, and with cutting edge materials.
Companies like Patagonia and Northface to name but two... have regretted offering life-time warranties and have offered repair instead of replacement for much the same reason....
It seems a losing proposition, except, would you spend 600-700 without the warranty?

Jim
fyshstykr likes this.

Last edited by Bigfly; 01-11-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:41 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Bigfly, I agree with you that rods like Sage, Scott and Loomis are far better built than many realize. The construction of their spare-no-cost blanks by American men and women with long developed expertise who fish themselves with what the make may be invisible to the eye but not the hand. I expect any quality oriented company to offer a fair warranty, its details are simply not my priority...I know they will take care of any problems I have gracefully. The best warranty, TFO's, is a big selling point for some. But most of their rods are not that well fabricated, cast below my standards and ...break more often that most.