The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 10:55 PM

dadionzo is on a distinguished road
Default Sage Rod

I have had a Sage Rod for around 13years but accidently broke same when moving items in a cupboard, will my sage still be under guarrantee. I think it is beyond repair, needless to say they have stopped making this model of rod.can anyone help with a point of contact
Old 10-29-2013, 11:37 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sage Rod

Warranty - About Sage | Sage Fly Fishing

Jim
Old 10-30-2013, 12:48 AM

dadionzo is on a distinguished road

Thankyou

hopefully i can contact someone in the uk
Old 01-06-2014, 11:25 PM

richardwtempleton is on a distinguished road

Sage is very good with there warrenties. I had a late model they no longer make and they get me a new one fairly quickly.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:15 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Really, this is a subject for the Rod Forum under Tackle, however, as it is under News... All the above is true, Sage is generous with their warranty service. But we pay for this generosity in the price of every new rod we buy. Where is the line? There is a difference between, "the tip snapped while putting the screws to a bruiser", and breaking an old rod due to an accidental, non-angling act of our own. Why should rod companies reward us for our own errors? I sure wish I could go to the Glenfarclas and say, "I've had this bottle for barely a month and look at it now, empty and useless! I would like a new one please."
Old 01-07-2014, 10:43 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Really, this is a subject for the Rod Forum under Tackle, however, as it is under News... All the above is true, Sage is generous with their warranty service. But we pay for this generosity in the price of every new rod we buy. Where is the line? There is a difference between, "the tip snapped while putting the screws to a bruiser", and breaking an old rod due to an accidental, non-angling act of our own. Why should rod companies reward us for our own errors? I sure wish I could go to the Glenfarclas and say, "I've had this bottle for barely a month and look at it now, empty and useless! I would like a new one please."
S&S, I see your point and agree in a general sense, but it seems the major rod companies decided long ago to charge more per rod to put aside as insurance to cover all our stupid rod breaking mistakes. I remember reading Orvis's generous no fault warranty thirty years ago and wondering how or why they would do that, then realized I would be inclined to buy that warranties rod over one. With lesser warranty.

My dog jumped on my Sage SP in my drift boat the summer before last, total neglect on my part. With a little shame I decided to test Sage's warranty and sent the pieces of my rod back with a letter explaining what happened, and a note saying I would totally understand if the warranty didn't cover negligence on an almost 20 year old rod. Sage offered a new Z Axis or ZXL replacement. Sage does require a $50.00 handling fee on all warranties which I thing is fair.

I guess the alternative would be the rod companies saving money by offering a standard (manufacturing and materials) warranty, and passing the savings on to the customer. The problem for the company then becomes one of deciding which rod broke in a legit fishing action as opposed to car door accident. I think they have weighed all. And decided the good will they accrue more than makes up for the higher rice they have to charge.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:09 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Of course, Glacier, your point is well taken and once out of the Orvis bag, everyone had to reluctantly fall in line. As a man who likes to get new rods with some regularity; I would prefer a materials and workmanship warranty coupled with a generous repair/replace option for a fee. A fee paid upon my admitted clumsiness, not upfront. I think most of us are responsible enough to admit the car door or dog broke it not the fish-of-a-lifetime. I have broken five rods while a fish was on the line; twice I high-sticked in an effort to bring the fish to a guide in a boat (don't do that!), twice I was in the end game with tarpon one of which was with an experimental prototype that just didn't have what it took and one was catastrophic failure (rod construction flaw) while fighting and albie and THAT one was an Orvis. Yes, they replaced it.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:54 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
S&S, I see your point and agree in a general sense, but it seems the major rod companies decided long ago to charge more per rod to put aside as insurance to cover all our stupid rod breaking mistakes. I remember reading Orvis's generous no fault warranty thirty years ago and wondering how or why they would do that, then realized I would be inclined to buy that warranties rod over one. With lesser warranty.
The problem is that rod companies DID NOT put aside the additional profit to provide for future breakage. It is just like Detroit guaranteeing generous pensions to city employees without funding the pensions. The result is a financial overhang of mounting warranty claims that must be paid out of current revenue.

Just like Detroit, this will eventually drive rod companies under. Therefore, some rod companies are backing away from fulfilling their warranties. For example, GLoomis no longer fulfills the no fault warranty that was in effect when you bought an older GLoomis fly rod. All Gloomis covers is workmanship and material defects just like a toaster purchase. They have retroactivily applied this to the older purchases.

Current GLoomis Warranty: "G.Loomis rods are covered by a limited warranty against defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the original owner."

GLoomis Warranty

Even Sage no longer covers their rods as they used to, Previous warranty claims were processed for free. Now they there is a $50 fee for claims. This is a repair charge regardless of what Sage calls it. "WARRANTY PROCESSING FEES: The original owner will be charged a $50 fee for each repaired rod ($30 for each reel) to cover processing, insurance and return shipping from our factory to you after your repair is complete. Your credit card will be pre-authorized when the warranty request process is initiated but you will not be charged until your repair is finished."

http://www.sageflyfish.com/about/war...]Sage Warranty

My good friend Jim Greenlee (Jim was the investor who provided funding for Islander Reels, Korkers, Streamborn of Canada, who joined with TFO to form TFO fly rods) had his accountant go over the books at Sage when they were up for sale. He decided not to purchase because it just did not make financial sense.

There are two kind of insurance. I will use medical malpractice insurance as an example. One is an Occurrence Coverage which is like auto insurance. If you have an accident while you have insurance, you are covered and if you let the policy lapse, you are not covered if the patient sues you years later.

The other is Claims Made Coverage. It covers you for any claims made for any incident that occurred while you were covered. So even if you drop the Claims Made insurance, you are still covered for claims made by the patients you treated while you had insurance. This is what rod companies need. Their liability to repair/replace that fly rod goes on forever!

With every rod they sell, their liability increases. Their situation is actually worse than a physician's because there is a statute of limitations on malpractice, but there is no time limitation on replacing broken fly rods. Even worse, the same fly rod can be replace multiple times, while each malpractice is a single liability.

As I said in a previous discussion, "They don't even guarantee anvils for life and an anvil is harder to break than a fly rod."

Opinion Editorial: Rod Warranties… It

Warranty system

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-07-2014, 05:10 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

seems like they've boxed themselves into a corner that will be hard to get out of. I certainly don't have an answer. the first guy to downgrade his warrantee is going to be jumped on by the competition pointing out how theirs is better. Unless they collude which is illegal, they are stuck in a hard place.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:07 PM

G.Loomis, opposed to the unconditional concept from day one, does not participate. But, since they make and have made some of the finest rods out there, they have gotten away with it. If TFO bowed out...they would be gone in no time because many buy their rods FOR the warranty and quick turn around. On a trip where my buds and I broke an exceptional number of rods; TFO sent us two replacements while we were still fishing. That was great service but the rods BROKE. The one Sage we had with us did not.