The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 09:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default The latest on striped bass

Striped Bass: Where do we go from here? …by Charles Witek | Surfcaster's Journal

Quote:
There was good news. The majority of the commissioners on the Striped Bass Management Board clearly recognized that there are problems with the stock, believe that harvest levels have to be reduced and have begun the process of making that happen.

There was also bad news. The Management Board, in a decisive vote, decided to do nothing to prevent overfishing from occurring next season, some commissioners made it clear that they had no intention of supporting the harvest reductions that biologists believe are needed, and there is plenty of time between now and next August, when new regulations would probably be finalized, for those dissenting commissioners to derail the current process.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The latest on striped bass

Glad to hear they are doing something although I wish it was next season!
The 3 mile limit needs to become a ten mile limit because its bad enough that our own boats are sneaking past the limit to hammer monster Bass but the boats we cant stop from fishing there are killing far to many fish,
Personally I dont want to see a replay of the 70s I would be fine with a C&R fishery and a one fish limit for the Partys and Charters so as not to hurt their business.
Thanks for posting the read Rip!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-09-2013, 08:22 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The latest on striped bass

I guess I am just an optimist on these matters but I feel that the "good years" will be coming back. Sure, they may never be like they were 30+ years ago. There are simply more fishermen now than before but that is not necessarily a bad thing, more people means a louder voice that things need to change. I know we are not out of the woods and it's going to take some time but I am hopeful that in the next 4-5 years things will be much better. I personally had a fairly decent year in numbers but a weak year in size. If we can just keep give the little guys a chance to grow up a bit and make more, then the size issue should follow eventually.

Thanks for posting the read Rip.