The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt
  • 3 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 01:09 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Salmon weighing the same as a small child caught in Borders river

Biggest salmon in Scotland - ITV News
zhaddock likes this.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Salmon weighing the same as a small child caught in Borders river

Three cheers for the Tweed I didn't hear on the video but I'm hoping the fish was released. I have bad dreams about the big king salmons I have killed. When we take those fish out of the river we are killing any chance for another, the progeny of that fish that is. Seriously, I'm rather ashamed of what I've done but in the past 3 seasons I've released all fish caught since June of 2011. I released prior to that but also killed my limit of 5 fish per year.

What a good thing to hear that in the ancient fisheries of Scotland they still have a 50 pound Atlantic Salmon!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-16-2013, 02:53 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Quite a beast that big kyped male and, yes, I believe they did say that, following the bit of photo session, the salmon was released.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:40 AM

Of course as we all know, Atlantic salmon do not necessarily die after spawning like their distant, Pacific Ocean, Oncorhynchus relatives. A fish like this one, likely a multi-sea-year fish even before its first return to spawn, has probably spawned a few times. This means making the migration from it natal Scottish Tweed, across the North Atlantic, to feed of Greenland in the Davis Straights and return again and again. Mans' nets, giant Bluefin Tuna and Orcas have no doubt decimated its siblings during its life span. With warming sea surface temperatures and de-salinization emanating from glacial calving, the salmons' natural prey species have taken a hit, exacerbated by Polish and Russian fish meal harvesting factory ships. Multi-sea-year fish like this are at an all time historic low and their future is clouded. Just a few decades ago, spectacular fish like this and bigger, were not uncommon in British, Scandinavian and Maritime Canadian rivers. If the full migratory, North Atlantic strains of salmon, like this one, are to survive, they need enormous help and sacrifice from all of us.
fredaevans likes this.