The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By docwet
  • 1 Post By thonyb
  • 2 Post By sandfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 06:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Last fly shop in Salem, Oregon to close.

The State Capital no less ....

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/arti...ome|p&gcheck=1
Old 11-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last fly shop in Salem, Oregon to close.

Sad to see these independent fly shops closing but I guess with the internet and the big box stores it is hard to compete.

Larry

Old 11-23-2013, 07:37 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Last fly shop in Salem, Oregon to close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Sad to see these independent fly shops closing but I guess with the internet and the big box stores it is hard to compete.

Larry
Yes and No. Know a couple (flyfishusa being an excellent example) where they have a huge internet site. Mark's site is very different from 99% of the rest ... he's proactive with his e-mail list. Two/three times per month you will get a 'newsletter' describing some product (rod/line/fly/what-ever) out lining the bennie's of the product, how to/where to use same etc. That's followed up by the order bits.

The other '99%' just have a web site that you have to think about/remember if you want to order 'something.' Another example of 'proactive' is the Allen folks here. Frequent 'face time' with the exact folks, to take a line from the old "Cheers" tv show: "Where everyone knows your name."

fae
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:58 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Sad to see that. I'd rather walk into an independent fly shop any day.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:37 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Fred,

It's a shame, but times have changed!

Orvis, Cabelas, Bass Pro all have huge sales and free shipping!

I got a bunch of fly fishing stuff from Cabelas, Christmas present for myself ....... it should arrive tomorrow.

Flashback: A couple years ago, I wanted to buy a 1 wt fly rod. I went to my local fly shop (Evening Rise, in Lancaster pa, now out of business) and they were a authorized Orvis dealer and didn't even know that Orvis made a 1 wt? LOL

I purchased the $600 rod online direct from Orvis, and even got a free reel with the deal!

The "local shops" can only sell you what they have in stock, and say "that's the only thing you can catch trout on" ....... really? people don't go to the little shops anymore?
Old 12-23-2013, 03:07 PM

docwet is on a distinguished road

I used to be a custom rod builder; fly & noodle rods, but quit after number 50 was commissioned. At Dick's, you can buy a graphite rod (VG quality), Graphite Large Arbor Reel with tapered flyline for $99 US, complete. Rod blank and components alone cost more than that!
Ebay has made fly fishing more democratic than any other force on earth! To give you an example, curved surgeon's Iris scissors in 1970 cost $17.00...today these same scissors are 2 for $4.00 with free shipping...and the quality is excellent!

Cheers, DocWet [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]
fredaevans likes this.

Last edited by docwet; 06-09-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:23 PM

BigJim2x is a jewel in the roughBigJim2x is a jewel in the roughBigJim2x is a jewel in the rough

Welcome docwet

Why not post something in the member introductions down in the back at the lodge section?

Any way, welcome and hope to here more about your experiences building rods and fishing in general.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:52 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

Im glad he will stil be guiding. I think what id miss most is being able to get advice for the rivers i fish. He had 25+ years of guiding..... that is alot knowledge.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:37 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

What gets me is everyone complains the little guy doesn't carry anything yet goes right to the big stores of worse is joanns or michaels or hobby lobby for stuff. what you all don't relies is as a little guy I only get 20% off retail for stuff I get while the big stores get 50-60 % off retail when they buy. who makes a better profit might I ask..thats the biggest reason we (small stores) are going under, everytime you go some where else it hurts us a lot trying to stay in business. we have to charge for shipping our profit margin is not that big dudes...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-25-2013, 06:56 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Angry Re: Last fly shop in Salem, Oregon to close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
What gets me is everyone complains the little guy doesn't carry anything yet goes right to the big stores of worse is joanns or michaels or hobby lobby for stuff. what you all don't relies is as a little guy I only get 20% off retail for stuff I get while the big stores get 50-60 % off retail when they buy. who makes a better profit might I ask..thats the biggest reason we (small stores) are going under, everytime you go some where else it hurts us a lot trying to stay in business. we have to charge for shipping our profit margin is not that big dudes...
he's right. sad , times are changing , the grass frogs are going extinct and the local fly shops are too. bummer

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory