The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 01:09 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Road Kill," now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Back country road and you're driving at a safe speed and a Moose walks out in front of you...... WHAM! A Moose? Well how about a Black Bear? Or a ... fill in the blank. People would be amazed at how often this happens (see the Montana numbers in the article).

We now have a (relatively) new 'what can happen next.'

FWP to serve up roadkill salvage permits online

For the record I've hit a deer and a cow (broken fence in the last case).
Years ago...when I lived in Northern BC and was working in the oil patch...the amount of miles we spent on back roads, we saw tons of road kill of all kinds of critters; from mice to moose including bison. We actually got in the habit that if we were going up a road that later we would be coming back on, we would stop and spray paint big critter road kills we came across. That way, on the way home, those not painted...could only be less than a day old. I ate many a steak/roast from those various road 'gifts'.

When I moved on in careers post university....i was part of a program where we collected road kill....kept in a big yard through the winter...and 'seeded' calving areas in the spring to minimize predation of moose, elk, deer from predators. Again, this was done in Northern BC

Today, now living in Southern Ontario...while I don't paint road kill anymore....IF I am so lucky to actualy observe a kill (only whitetail deer now)....I will gather the critter for the freezer. I have no qualms about it. To me, its bonus steaks.

My 2 cents

King Joe Outa Here!
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:14 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianfishn View Post
I have a box full of Squirrel tails in my dorm room. I wonder what my roommate thinks....
He thinks you are weird.

I had a roommate in college who was constantly reminded me how clean and pure his kosher meats were. It eventually got annoying so I did what had to be done.....

roasted a dirty little squirrel in his toaster oven while he was at class.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:46 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

......'bout this time of the year, the vendors would start showing up with those Christmas tins of cookies and supply the job site office with coffee break goodies. The guys and gals would soon become addicted and the cookies wouldn't last very long so when the salesman showed up there was always the refrain.."bring us some more cookies !". Some of those tins are tough to get the lids off, especially for the girls. Pop...the lids would fly in the air and then the cookies started to disappear.

Well I had an empty tin, some nice white gift wrapping tissue and a frozen dead squirrel that I nestled in the paper and set it where the vendors placed there gifts. Breaktime came and pop went the lid and you wouldn't believe the wide eyes and mouth Oooo's when they looked inside for a cookie.

We kept up the deal for a few days as visitors came in and they just couldn't resist the tin and would asked " can I have one of these cookies". "Sure can"...with a grin.

....and up popped the tin !!!!
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

In years past, I've harvested my share of road kills, mainly for the fur for tying. When I lived in Fairbanks, AK, it seemed like every winter someone would get killed in a car collision with a moose, they have such long legs that when a car hits them, more often than not they roll up onto the hood and into the vehicle, not a pleasant sight!

Larry

Larry
Old 11-26-2013, 03:07 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

We don't have Moose,Bear or Coyotes & even though there are heaps of Deer over here as to Date I've not yet had an encounter with one however over the years I've run over my Share of Dogs,Cats,Possums,Foxes,Hares,Rabbits,Kangaroos,Wa llabies & Emus as well as many different types of Birds.
Once when I was returning home from another Town I worked in I noticed a Peacock beside The Road which had just been killed so I wheeled around & threw it in the back of my vehicle hence I still have plenty of Peacock Feathers after about15+ years.
Also on occasions I've been known to take my Gun for a walk if I needed any Fur or Duck Feathers
Brian
Old 11-26-2013, 03:16 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

The State of Michigan keeps moose and bear. A few years back, they had them buried at a research area by state prisoners. After a Circuit Court Judge dismissed a case against several people for harvesting the meat from a road kill moose, they started having them butchered for charity food pantries. Any Police Officer can give you the paper work to keep a deer that you hit.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:21 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
The State of Michigan keeps moose and bear. A few years back, they had them buried at a research area by state prisoners. After a Circuit Court Judge dismissed a case against several people for harvesting the meat from a road kill moose, they started having them butchered for charity food pantries. Any Police Officer can give you the paper work to keep a deer that you hit.
That's a good idea better than just towing them into The Scrub to Rot even though some of The Meat might not be useable.
Brian
Old 12-28-2013, 09:17 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I've hit one deer in all the years I've been driving. Luckily, no damage to the P/U and she was very dead so I didn't have to finish her. I was coming home from an unsuccessful deer hunt. I'd have liked to tag her and call it good, but it ain't legal here. I had one of my youth hunt group hunters with me and that kept me on the straight and narrow.
Driving through the pine barrens in south Jersey you'd occasionally run over big bunches of turtles crossing the road. They pop.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Last edited by JoJer; 12-28-2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:03 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

The amount of deer I've hit along with coyotes , woodchucks, skunks, foxes and raccoons is embarrassing !
The good thing in Pa if you kill a deer with your car you can keep it by calling the DEC and reporting it, Bucks antlers get turned over to them.
Knock on wood it's been two years since I've added to my total , hope I haven't jinxed it!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-28-2013, 10:10 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough

I have only hit a opossum and a few squirrels. I had a close call with a deer though. He was a big buck. The kind I'd love to see during hunting season. But my father's truck is called the "bird slayer 2" his previous truck was #1 and this one is #2. Reason being is that he has hit at least 30 birds over 6 or 7 years. Ranging from hawks and turkeys to small finches and everything in between. He's had them fly into the side while driving and get stuck in the grill. And it like the birds know because in the summer the **** all over it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4