The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 09:57 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Road Kill," now what?

Back country road and you're driving at a safe speed and a Moose walks out in front of you...... WHAM! A Moose? Well how about a Black Bear? Or a ... fill in the blank. People would be amazed at how often this happens (see the Montana numbers in the article).

We now have a (relatively) new 'what can happen next.'

FWP to serve up roadkill salvage permits online

For the record I've hit a deer and a cow (broken fence in the last case).
kglissmeyer1 likes this.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: "Road Kill," now what?

I have hit 7--count 'em 7 deer in the last 20 or so years. I live in a somewhat deer infested part of the country. I've also hit coyotes, raccoons, oppossums, rabbits, skunks, squirrels, owls, red-tailed hawks, quail and numerous other birds and once discovered a bat lodged in the grill of my truck. There is a stretch of road I drive every single day to work that you better not do much over 35 mph or one of the brain-dead whitetails will scamper right into your insurance claim.

The coyote hunters salvage lots of roadkill here to use for bait. I don't know if it is legal or not but it is sure a lot nicer than having carcasses laying all over the place waiting for the bone collector to find them and haul them to wherever they haul them. The roads around here at this time of year are literally blood-stained from all the deer carnage taking place during the rut. I almost stopped to take a picture of a particularly messy one Sunday on the way to church but my wife vetoed that idea. It was impressive...must have been hung under a vehicle for mile.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:40 AM

ejsell will become famous soon enough

I almost hit a horse on my way home from college at night during a snow storm. I barely missed him and luckily ended up on someone's driveway rather than the ditch.
About a month before my first son was due, my wife and I were coming home from a baby shower on a four lane highway. I was just getting ready to pass a semi when a wild turkey flew out of the median, hit the side of the semi and bounced back into the windshield of our SUV. Luckily he hit right at the top and skidded across the roof otherwise he would have made it in. As it was he imploded the windshield and left a massive dent in the frame right at the windshield. My wife started having contractions while we were waiting for the tow truck but when we made it to the hospital they were able to stop them.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:42 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I have hit 7--count 'em 7 deer in the last 20 or so years. I live in a somewhat deer infested part of the country. I've also hit coyotes, raccoons, oppossums, rabbits, skunks, squirrels, owls, red-tailed hawks, quail and numerous other birds and once discovered a bat lodged in the grill of my truck.
You carnage magnet you!

While I live down some country roads, I've been lucky enough to avoid em. I did see a deer get liquified at about 85 mph this summer. Not pretty for the deer or the car...
mcnerney, fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:47 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
You carnage magnet you!

While I live down some country roads, I've been lucky enough to avoid em. I did see a deer get liquified at about 85 mph this summer. Not pretty for the deer or the car...

Yeah, I live in a very rural area with abundant amounts of targets...er...wildlife.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:52 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
targets...er...wildlife.
My fishing bud has scooped a fresh hit target for meat. Love me some deer sticks but I let him do the dirty
fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:58 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Mmmm with moose stop (lol) cut off a good section take home and grill. deer take whole deer home, bear get the rump meat, turkey whole bird, small game gather all up and make road kill stew, freeze left overs for hard times (while walking waiting for car to be fixed), enjoy fur and feathers while tying new and exciting patterns (must show on here )
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-26-2013, 11:13 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

"Road Kill," now what?

ROLL UP YOUR WINDOWS !!!

mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I skinned a road-kill skunk for tying material once...... only once
Not my best idea

Fox, muskrat, squirrel tails, woodchuck tails.... all worth the effort.
Skunk...not so much.
mcnerney, mridenour and ia_trouter like this.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:44 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

I have a box full of Squirrel tails in my dorm room. I wonder what my roommate thinks.
I always have a small knife on me when i go on runs, On may occasions Ive pulled it out and cut and boned the tail right off. A little salt and sunshine and its ready to go!
mcnerney and mridenour like this.