The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 11:21 AM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Seventh US State Bans Felt-Soled Footwear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Yeah, they are the police that write tickets for annoying and arbitrary laws like fly only regulations, creel limits, etc.

I sure wish we had bigger fines and more enforcement of creel limits and fly only regulations. Trout poaching is a big issue here in CO. I vote, if you get caught using scented flies or bait or take too many fish of the wrong size, you get 40 hours of community service, cleaning the river banks.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:41 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
I sure wish we had bigger fines and more enforcement of creel limits and fly only regulations. Trout poaching is a big issue here in CO. I vote, if you get caught using scented flies or bait or take too many fish of the wrong size, you get 40 hours of community service, cleaning the river banks.
I agree, see way too many bait fisherman in fly only waters carrying their infamous 5 gallon buckets.

Dave
Old 01-24-2014, 11:51 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I'm going to play devil's advocate now:

There are a whole lot of fisherman that look at a regulation like "flies only" on a stretch of river and will turn their nose up and say "FU, I've lived here my whole life...'they' can't tell me how I can fish...elitist blah blah blah..."

So how is a regulation that directly benefits that long term health of a river shed like not transferring invasive aquatic organisms by banning a kind of sole on your friggin boot out of line but telling people they can only fish with a hook that has feathers tied on it all that different? One takes away your "freedom" because you don't like it while the other takes away someone else's freedom because you do like it.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:04 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

I support the ban. I live in MD. Both MD & WVA have banned felt. I and the 5 other guys I fish with on a regular basis all went out and bought boot with rubber soles and metal studs. While they are not quite as good as felt, adding an extra stud or two in each boot really did the trick!

A little more info... We do a 4 day fishing trip twice a year where we fish 4 separate bodies of water. We often fish two different rivers each day. I would really hate to see didymo (sp) in any or all of those waters much less know that I may have been one of the guys responsible for it!!

Todd
Hardyreels likes this.

--Irish Blessing
Old 01-24-2014, 12:24 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Fact: Give me a bucket of worms, grasshoppers or crickets and I will suck every fish out of a hole in no time.

Fact: There isn't solid proof that dydimo spread is caused by felt boots

Fact: The government is exempting themselves from the law

NOTE: Not meant to be taken as angrily written only discussing.

Dave
Old 01-24-2014, 02:08 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
I support the ban. I live in MD. Both MD & WVA have banned felt. I and the 5 other guys I fish with on a regular basis all went out and bought boot with rubber soles and metal studs. While they are not quite as good as felt, adding an extra stud or two in each boot really did the trick!

A little more info... We do a 4 day fishing trip twice a year where we fish 4 separate bodies of water. We often fish two different rivers each day. I would really hate to see didymo (sp) in any or all of those waters much less know that I may have been one of the guys responsible for it!!

Todd
How do you decontaminate between the different watersheds on the same day? Do you take harsh chemicals and washtubs to clean your gear? Unless you do, you are risking being the Typhoid Mary of invasives. Going from one watershed to another on the same day is absolutely the best way to spread invasives.

When I go to Montana, I use a totally different FELT boot that I only use for the Madison River and leave to dry off during the other 11 months in a Montana garage.

Read the most recent science on dydimo. Fishermen are NOT responsible for the dydimo blooms and dydimo is NATIVE to North America. Dydimo has been in Western and Eastern rivers for over 100 years,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 01-24-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:16 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I think it is a good discussion to have.

1. Not to doubt your bait fishing prowess Dave, but I highly doubt a river would be fished barren were bait allowed to be used. But for a different example: catch and release, fly only water regulations - to many these is an arbitrary, elitist law. And the state, i.e. government would still be allowed to electro-fish for counting purposes. Who is "right?"

2. If by solid proof you mean 100% certainty, then nothing will ever be changed. Don't forget, gravity is a theory.

3. I just do not see the relevance here.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:44 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I agree. My belief is that this is a fairness issue.

Kind of.

Why would they exempt their people if the other options are just as effective?

Easy... because their testing has shown that they aren't.

What happens if one of their people is hurt or killed while will doing their job?

A huge mess and $$$$$

On the other hand if they make the avg sportsman give up felt what happens?

The Earth Firsters throw a party and if we get hurt or die it comes out of our own pockets and it's the cost of playing the game. It doesn't effect the Gov at all.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
The Earth Firsters throw a party and if we get hurt or die it comes out of our own pockets and it's the cost of playing the game. It doesn't effect the Gov at all.
Come on Bug, is that necessary? Earth Firsters? I am not such a person, and doubt if the others here that have come out in support of the idea. And to go so far as to say a group of people "throw a party" because a fisherman dies? This is why civil debates here go down the tubes.

No one is trying to enact laws so that a group of people gets hurt and dies. Also, plenty of fisherman manage to slip and fall, get hurt, and unfortunately die every year due to all kinds of forces.
fyshstykr and williamhj like this.

Last edited by dean_mt; 01-24-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-24-2014, 06:13 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Come on Bug, is that necessary? Earth Firsters? I am not such a person, and doubt if the others here that have come out in support of the idea. And to go so far as to say a group of people "throw a party" because a fisherman dies?

I didn't say anything like that.

Read the sentence again.

I said that they throw a party because Felt got banned, AND if we get hurt or die it comes out of our own pockets (contrasting with what happens if a gov employee get's hurts or dies)