The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Seventh US State Bans Felt-Soled Footwear

New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: Seventh US State Bans Felt-Soled Footwear
Old 01-23-2014, 10:02 AM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Seventh US State Bans Felt-Soled Footwear

I would like to see Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado all join forces and ban them as well. I know felt bottom's are not the only carrier and maybe not even the biggest culprit, but banning them gets people talking and thinking about it.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:22 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
I would like to see Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado all join forces and ban them as well. I know felt bottom's are not the only carrier and maybe not even the biggest culprit, but banning them gets people talking and thinking about it.
"Other states considering a ban include Idaho, Maine, Montana, New Mexico, New York City and Oregon." Not sure I'd call New York City a State so that may be a typo. That aside, several of the above States have very strict requirements with boats/trailers as they can be major bad news in transferring 'invasive species.'

A few years back (Oregon had just put into play their boat check requirement) got to spend a weekend as a Vollie on I-5 just into Oregon. Anyone with a boat trailer was required to pull over and have the thing inspected. If you didn't pull over (missed the signs, etc.,) an Officer went after you and you got pulled over. In that short period we found three north bound California trailers with the damned things attached to the trailers! (Boats were all clean.)

The one that got every one's attention was the driver said the boat/trailer hadn't seen water in close to two weeks and (out of Reddington, CA) the day temps had been in the 105 to 110 degree range. Those 'suckers,' some the size of a fifty cent coin were all 'alive and doing well.'

Two permanent inspection places here in Southern Oregon (that I know of) and they're OSP truck inspection sites. One's on I-5 (Ashland, Or) the others on 101 on the coast. Apparently there's a small fee charged.

But back to the OSP and their inspections. I've seen two instances where an Officer pulled into a major Rogue River boat ramp and did a walk around and checked out all the drift boat trailers. I can make a reasonable guess that an 'out of state' license plate really got a through look-see.
mcnerney and pm287 like this.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:27 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I just bought my first pair of Vibram sole boots and ditched the felts (they wore out). I was skeptical but was assured they are good. And they are! I do believe that a lot of the resistance is simply based on the old notion that felt is the only way to go. The new materials are better and better. Add studs and I don't think felt is any better at all.

And I'm glad to see that NYC has banned felt! What the...?
brookfieldangler likes this.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:37 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

It has been proven that felt soaks up puke from the floors of subway cars and spreads the germs all over the city.
jgentile and ts47 like this.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:52 AM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just bought my first pair of Vibram sole boots and ditched the felts (they wore out). I was skeptical but was assured they are good. And they are! I do believe that a lot of the resistance is simply based on the old notion that felt is the only way to go. The new materials are better and better. Add studs and I don't think felt is any better at all.

I have been using the Vibram Simms for several years, and they are good until the edges of the little treads start to wear down. I am anxious to try the new Orvis rubber when they come out late spring/early summer.

I just got a raft, so no more studs for me..at least on my raft boots. Speaking of which, my trailer won't ever be backed into the water, but what is the best way to clean a raft? It has a lace in floor, so that is going to be the toughest part I would think.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I have both felt and rubber.. and rubber types from Simms and Korkers.. in summer, when the moss builds up, rubber isn't even close for me.. unless you add some studs

I should add.. I think it really depends on the river and the bottom type... there are just some rivers out there that get extermely slippery
Old 01-23-2014, 11:30 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Those that fish winter out here are very pleased with rubber/studs.
I hate the "glam rocker" snow build-up on felt.
In summer, if it's a didymo spreader, I'll play along.
If you have ever seen a fishery overrun(ruined) with the stuff, you probably would too.
Without studs, I'm like a pig on ice.......I add extras.....
Won't be surprised when all the states outlaw felt.

Jim
Old 01-23-2014, 05:56 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Really???

Ok remove felt. What about the laces, other material in making the boots, stitching, fly line, Flies, nets???

Manufactures are retailers are loving this.

Banning felt MIGHT help a LITTLE, if at all. Some of the areas I fish are downright dangerous without felt.

Do we ban ducks, geese and other migrating fowl?? Nahh....no money in it...

Think about it.....what about those flies you just tied? Are the materials contaminated?? What about that drift boat being trailered from another state or area?

Even though i might only have an Economics degree, isnt rubber porous??

Nice, politics have even found a way into my wading boots!

OR...Im just overreacting......
Old 01-23-2014, 07:20 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't support the ban because as South Dakota just ruled, state and federal employees are exempt from the law when perfroming official business. Which means they can tramp up and down the streams all day performing surveys while wearing felt, but we have to risk our necks going without. This tells me it is only a feel good decision and they don't really care.

Dave