The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default California Fishing Bans

New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: California Fishing Bans
Old 01-30-2014, 02:05 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: California Fishing Bans

Re:"To the best of our knowledge, this is the first time the department has taken this kind of emergency action," said Jordan Traverso, a department spokeswoman.

Is there no one left in our fisheries branch with more than a few years of tenure?

I’ll be the first to agree that fishermen for all of their log keeping are some of the most forgetful sportsmen in the world when it comes to keeping track of the larger issues ( like annual precipitation ) that define their seasonal sporting opportunities. But surely veteran coastal watershed steelheaders know of past ( emergency ) closures put into place due to low water.

I had one of those "bang your head on the table" moments a couple of nights ago.
I live along the Feather River, near the confluence of the Yuba river. We see the impact on a daily basis. This past Sunday night we found ourselves in Reno, Nevada at one of the first performances of Dolly Parton’s 2014 World Tour. ( 68 years young and she’s still a hoot. )

We were seated next to a very nice group of mature adults from San Jose, CA at the concert and during the intermission we struck up a conversation with them. At one point they asked where we lived, worked, played etc. ( the Feather R. at the confluence of the Yuba R., which flow down to met the Lower Sacramento River. ) at which point one of the gals leans forward and asks, “ Are you starting to have a drought up there too? ”
When my seizure subsided, I politely responded yes.

Yes, San Jose residents…..Might they be getting their news from the San Jose Mercury News, the purveyors of this fine article.

From the San Jose Mercury News 1/26/14

“The board of the Santa Clara Valley Water District, a government agency based in San Jose that provides drinking water to 1.8 million people, is expected to approve a "preliminary water use reduction target" of 10 percent lower than the county used last year.”

That’s big of them.

At this point, I’m really starting to wonder if the message is getting through to urban / metro water users.

TT
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's what I was talking about on yesterdays thread. What you need is a pipe line that runs from Alaska to California with a whole bunch of small pipes contributing to the volume as it goes. We generally have way more water than is needed by man or fish.......

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-30-2014, 02:40 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
At this point, I’m really starting to wonder if the message is getting through to urban / metro water users.
If you asked your 'mature adults' where water comes from you might get the
"From the faucet. Where else?" answer.
fyshstykr and mcnerney like this.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:45 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Ard, don't give them any ideas....
You might end up without enough.
Folks down in So-cal are insatiable.....The land of swimming pools will never get it.
The farmers are raising crops we don't eat, with water we need.
The good news, is we got a little snow today!!!
Think good thoughts.

Jim
Hardyreels, fyshstykr and mcnerney like this.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:24 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Ard, don't give them any ideas....
You might end up without enough.
Folks down in So-cal are insatiable.....The land of swimming pools will never get it.
The farmers are raising crops we don't eat, with water we need.
The good news, is we got a little snow today!!!
Think good thoughts.

Jim
Sad but true Jim.

As expected, I washed my van 24 hours ago on a bright sunny So Cal afternoon and voila! we had some rain last night and the dark cloud still lingers. Hopefully we will get more this weekend.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:50 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Plan that didn't go through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
That's what I was talking about on yesterdays thread. What you need is a pipe line that runs from Alaska to California with a whole bunch of small pipes contributing to the volume as it goes. We generally have way more water than is needed by man or fish.......
Not from Alaska but from the south shore of the Columbia River down the east side of the State of Oregon. Break in the pipe and all you got was a huge mud puddle. End of the pipe (as I recall) was to be Lake Shasta; from there you already had the 'Central Cannal' running down the Sacramento Valley.

Don't remember why the idea hit the wall but I think the State of Oregon said 'No Way Jose.'

One way or the other the 'build' would have been a very straight forward project.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:52 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Yea Ard there’s a movement called Straws that would draw fresh water from all the major rivers north of SF to AK with pipes laid on the coast floor from AK to CA, my problem is what will that do to the environmental life do to the loss of fresh water to the echo system. You don’t need to answer this question, its just one of mine.

Rick
Old 02-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Oh I thought about that Rick, but if each tributary to the main line was small and had the intake inside a small weir so that our fish wouldn't get into the mix, we have lots of water as does most of the Yukon and BC.

At this time it sounds ridiculous but I bet in 50 years it will be a reality. There are just too many people in the drought zones. I think that when in severe drought water should be rationed, regardless of economic class. There has to be a limit placed on any resource that is being disseminated by waste.

A few years ago out septic drain field was frozen. I learned a whole lot about water conservation that winter. At the cabin there is no well, conservation is key there also. In the American general population I would guess that we have at least 300 million people who have never considered those 2 words in the same thought or sentence, water & conservation.
fyshstykr, mridenour and pm287 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-03-2014, 03:45 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
In the American general population I would guess that we have at least 300 million people who have never considered those 2 words in the same thought or sentence, water & conservation.
I will agree with the two words, folks here want to draw more water from our protected rivers and streams, they are asked to conserve 20% and they can see no way, I've just reduced our laundry water and energy use by 80% using Bosch equipment, has a whole as humans we must give back. Enough of my rant.
fyshstykr likes this.