The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By Jackster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 04:37 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all
Default Mercury

4% of the sample will probably stop fishing in these streams.
Mercury found in remote national park streams
Old 04-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Mercury

Hi Emil,

I just heard about this on the radio here yesterday, I think the fish here came from lakes in the Wrangle St. Elias area but don't quote me at that. Being from Pennsylvania originally I'm accustomed to 'advisory' notifications in regard to consumption of fish.

Being far removed from any level of knowledge regarding these occurrences I have to guess that they are the result of a natural phenomenon or of rains leaching the mercury from soils.
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-18-2014, 08:57 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Think Ard's got it right in his last sentence. We have a couple of large lakes her in Southern Oregon where (right in the fishing regulation book) you are advised not to eat caught fish or at least limit the consumption.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:57 AM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Emil,

I just heard about this on the radio here yesterday, I think the fish here came from lakes in the Wrangle St. Elias area but don't quote me at that. Being from Pennsylvania originally I'm accustomed to 'advisory' notifications in regard to consumption of fish.

Being far removed from any level of knowledge regarding these occurrences I have to guess that they are the result of a natural phenomenon or of rains leaching the mercury from soils.
I'm sure it is also since any mines that exist in these areas are little 1 person digs. It just gives the Feds more excuses to throw more regs out to shut down a area. A advisory on eating is fine.

Last edited by rockriver; 04-18-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:14 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I am told it is not uncommon for dredgers in California rivers to find mercury laying on the bedrock layer. Hope the feds don't turn this into another reason to ban folks from a river.

Dave
Old 04-18-2014, 10:46 AM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

In California the miners used so much mercury I'm not surprised about it in Yosemite trout. All animals from the SF bay have mercury warnings it's really sad.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

In the Northeast, warnings like that are common. Here's Maine's:

"Mercury in Maine freshwater fish may harm the babies of pregnant and nursing mothers, and young children.

Pregnant and nursing women, women who may get pregnant, and children under age 8 SHOULD NOT EAT ANY freshwater fish from Maine’s inland waters. Except for brook trout and landlocked salmon, one meal per month is safe.
All other adults and children older than 8 CAN EAT two freshwater fish meals per month. For brook trout and landlocked salmon, the limit is one meal per week."

New Hampshire's is similar:

"For all freshwater fish, except stocked trout, follow these fish consumption guidelines:

• Pregnant and nursing women, and women who may become pregnant can safely eat ONE, 8-ounce meal of freshwater fish per month.

• Children under age 7 can safely eat ONE, 4-ounce meal of freshwater fish per month.

• All other adults and children age 7 and older can safely eat FOUR, 8-ounce meals of freshwater fish per month.

• When eating bass, pickerel, white perch or yellow perch, limit consumption to fish 12 inches or less in length while following the above guidelines.

Stocked trout contains relatively low levels of mercury. For rainbow and brown trout, women of childbearing age and children can safely eat ONE meal per week; others can eat SIX meals per week. Brook trout could be either stocked or from a native population, and therefore should be consumed at the rate of the general freshwater advisory above."
Old 04-18-2014, 03:42 PM

At my age I don't worry about a little Mercury in my trout, but in reality, I doubt that I've kept more than 6 trout since 1971. I just don't care for the taste, just love to fish with the peace I find out there.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:36 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

If these issues are from fish in waters we assume are pristine, it really makes me wonder about fish imported from countries with little to no health, safety and environmental concerns.
buddhist_palm likes this.