The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Editor
  • 1 Post By clay tonian
  • 3 Post By hairwing530
  • 1 Post By rockriver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Thomas & Thomas Rodmakers has a New Owner

New article posted on theflyfishingforum.com: Thomas & Thomas Rodmakers has a New Owner
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thomas & Thomas Rodmakers has a New Owner

Interesting story, I hope he can turn the company around and wish him all the best.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:25 PM

clay tonian will become famous soon enough

There has got to be a niche market for a rodmaker that will back off the gas on the new technologies and make a sub $500.00 rod that is lightweight and responsive and built with fine materials in the USA...8 bills for a rod is insanity

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

am I describing St Croix? ^^ (I really don't know, never cast one)
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:26 PM

nctribute is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay tonian View Post
There has got to be a niche market for a rodmaker that will back off the gas on the new technologies and make a sub $500.00 rod that is lightweight and responsive and built with fine materials in the USA...8 bills for a rod is insanity

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

Plenty of rods out there that fit that description, what you are really asking for is a lightweight, responsive, built with fine material and with a recognized name sub $500 rod. Get rid of the name part and you are good to go.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:38 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

Interesting, since I don't think the previous owner was on board for long, was he? Seems to me it was only a few months ago that everyone was optimistic that he was going to "turn the company around" (whatever that implied).

Allen R.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:21 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

In total agreement with Larry, I wish the new owner the best of luck in the months to come. T&T long has been among the finest rods...

I also agree with clay tonian in his assessment of the "new technologies" and a niche market. I've cast/fished/owned a wealth of rods over the years, and I keep coming back to three rod whose "technology" is "antiquated" in the eyes of many-- the old Orvis Graphite, the old Orvis Superfine, and the Winston TMF IM6 rods.

Collectively, they're not "line-cannons" by any stretch of the imagination, not by comparison to some of today's rods. But, they will handle a cast out to 40 or 50 feet with a delicate touch and responsiveness that suits my style of fishing. I'm long past the "longest cast" stage of my life, choosing instead to work a trout close up and with more emphasis on a presentation that fits me...

OK... I'll get down from my soapbox now...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Flywgn, rockriver and eastfly66 like this.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:31 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Hopefully it goes well. I'd love to buy one.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:33 PM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Hopefully it goes well. I'd love to buy one.

I was at T&T today to test cast a LPS II I am considering , it is exactly what it says , exceptional presentation and accuracy ,(Soft presentation) not being one of my strong points in casting but this rod makes it easy. The last time I was there I got to meet the new owner and he was nice enough to tell me some of his ideas and I am really looking forward to the possibilities . I was told the new catalog will be out soon and given a chance to try one of the new rods on their casting pond and will be looking forward to seeing the finished product.

The NS II was my most recent rod and cannot say enough good things about it. Rockriver & Clay , you should take a look at those Horizon II at backcountry for $380. ! I have a 4 & 6 with a 5 in the NS II.

For an all around rod , I would not want anything but a Horizon II , enough so that I am ordering a 5 wt. as a back up to my 4 & 6 ! The accuracy with the 4 wt. is unmatched. Tom Dorsey is truly a Master of the craft.

Like they said , if your out that way stop in !

Great people !

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay tonian View Post

Back in the late 90's (I think) T&T produced the ES series as an option to the high end rods, I still have my ES 908 as a go to steelhead rod (with a 50/60' carry it still feels like a 5/6 wt. No Kidding!). They cut cost with an unsanded/painted blank , real seat , ect. The blank/rod was still all T&T and I think better than some high end today ! I am hoping they will introduce a similar rod in that price range/market. These blanks are rolled right here in Ma. and the quality control is unmatched. Even the reel seats are custom made for T&T by a local shop. It would not surprise me if the cloth bags & tubes were made local also. The ES was like the RPL (same era) except a lot more feel and smoother (and less $ ) IMHO , I had the RPL traded it toward the NS II.

However ,,, I have to say , I think un sanded blanks are butt ugly !

BTW , all 3 rods cast a Rio gold WF perfectly. I am going to try a line on the 4 wt. that is not as aggressive (DT maybe) for presentation.

Last edited by eastfly66; 08-16-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo