The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2015, 02:51 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default 65 is cutting edge for me, even in Montana.

http://ravallirepublic.com/missoula/...a54a0258f.html

Putting along at 62 (70 mph limit) with the two old dogs in the back (Montana): 'Sir, you are holding up traffic.' ''Officer, I am staying alive at my age. It will take me 10 minutes more to where I'm going."

Touch to the side of the hat:

"Have a good day Sir." He leaned in the window and "God I wish there were more like you. I am sick and tired of cleaning up the mess."

Last edited by fredaevans; 05-06-2015 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:04 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 65 is cutting edge for me, even in Montana.

70 mph (65 at night) on a 2 lane rural road is the norm for Montana. In Wisconsin it would be 55 for a rural road.

Montana is a huge state. If you drove the the longest way across the state corner to corner, it would be the farther than driving from Chicago to New York City which is just under 800 miles and crosses 6 states.

It is 838 miles across Montana. I think that is why the speed limit is so high. It is hard I think for folks in other states to get a sense of Montana and other sparsely populated states like N. Dakota, Wyoming, Nevada, etc unless you spend time there.

Click the image to open in full size.

I once asked a Montana native how fast you could drive on a freeway (75 mph) without getting a ticket and they said we were good up to 85 mph.
mcnerney, fredaevans and dean_mt like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Last year Wyoming changed the speed limit on sections of I-80 to 80 mph. It used to be 75 all the way across and you could drive 80 without ever getting noticed by the highway patrol. I'm not sure what you can do now. A week or so ago there was a 60 car pile up on I-80 that closed the hwy for over 24 hours. NPR said they were charging a Canadian truck driver with vehicular homicide.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:35 PM

wyobowhunter21 is on a distinguished road

I-25 is now 80 as well until Sheridan that is. Then it goes back to 75. Sadly I do know of one or two people who have gotten pulled over for going 81-83 not sure if that is the norm. I travel I-25 almost weekly to Montana. Montana is awesome. I was talking to a patrol officer doing security and he basically said the highest ticket he would give out was $105 for going something like 95 on the interstate.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:50 PM

plecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to behold

It's not just the wide-open west (although I do remember fondly the days when Nevada had no limit and Montana had no daytime limit).

I recently drove 2,900 miles round-trip from NH to FL mostly along Rt 95. That route takes you through MA, CT, NYC, NJ, Baltimore and WDC. Once you get to VA going south, the speed limit is 70 the rest of the way.

Nobody, including old ladies in Buicks, goes 70. The usual speed we traveled was between 78 and 83 in groups of 5-10 cars/trucks.

Even where the speed limit was lower than 70 (most of NH to WDC), the traffic generally moved at 70-75.

In the whole trip I saw no accidents or tie-ups caused by accidents. Also, I saw only three traffic stops - one in each of the Carolinas, one on the NJ Turnpike. I don't know that these were speeding stops. They could have been something else.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:45 PM

GrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to all

Fuel economy seems to be a big deal now a days as it should be....and I clearly recall when they dropped the speed limit nationwide I believe down to 55 for that very reason...Understand that is just after the decline of muscle cars. My 69 Dodge R/T having a 150 m.p.h. speedometer from the factory (and would do it ) and my 77 Vette having a 160 one.

That said, the highways in Montana are nothing like those in Michigan clear down to Florida for two reasons only. First off, how well the roads hold together out West. Secondly, traffic. I would guess I-75 from the U.P. of Michigan down to Fort Lauderdale sees easily 100x if not 1,000x the traffic. Currently our speed limit is 70 after climbing from 55-60-65, yet in many places at 70m.p.h. you're lucky if you are moving at 20.

In any case, one can see why the speed limit is what it is out West simply due to the lack of congestion.....Just don't complain about fuel shortages....and Fred, 62 sounds just fine.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:53 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtLksMarlin View Post

In any case, one can see why the speed limit is what it is out West simply due to the lack of congestion.....Just don't complain about fuel shortages....and Fred, 62 sounds just fine.

B.E.F.
Younger People here have no clue how many 'Seasoned Citizens' live in this area. Our 'traffic accident' number is close to zero. We just 'putt along, doing our thing.' Police give a wave and a pass.

Digress:

What the Jello!! My internet connection is hooked to a real phone line (I knew that) but you have a real phone number if you hook up a phone to your 'Puter: Someone can call you. It rang! Long conversation with JD.

fae
Old 05-07-2015, 10:01 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Nothing wrong with putting along. Just stay in the slow lane please so I can fly by.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:28 AM

plecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to behold

I held off saying anything for a while, but I can't any longer.

If someone I knew was fat, smoked, and drank heavily, I'd tell him that he had to change or else he was going to kill himself.

To me, this is the same thing.

Most interstates in Montana are two-lanes-each-direction. Tractor/trailer rigs are mostly going to be in the right lane, and they'll be going 80 mph or more. They're already going 75 mph or more.

If you're 'putting along' at 62-65 mph, those rigs will be closing on you at 15-18 mph. An 15-18 mph speed differential is huge. Said another way, it's 22-26 ft (1 car lengths) per second.

Another driver is going to have to slow suddenly or change lanes to avoid you. Either move can be unsafe for anyone around.

Fred, I urge you, for your safety and for others' safety to reconsider 'putting along'. I'd hate to lose you to some grisly accident.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:59 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Nothing wrong with putting along. Just stay in the slow lane please so I can fly by.
Exactly, my thoughts are on a 3 lane interstate

Right hand lane is for the 5 under to the speed limit
Middle lane is for speed limit to 5 over
Left Lane is for 10 over

Nothing grinds my gears more than someone lolly gagging in lanes they shouldn't. I have no problem with folks doing 10 under, just use your rearview mirror judiciously

Seriously though I can't believe the limit on some interstates is 80mph now. I drive a full size Tundra that my fuel efficiency falls off a cliff at 70mph. I personally wouldn't be upset if they lowered all speed limits to a 70mph max for both safety and efficiency

"Snap it" Hank Patterson