The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2015, 06:54 AM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice
Default California Drought affects USA food production

California
GrtLksMarlin likes this.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:17 AM

GrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: California Drought affects USA food production

Quote:
Governor Brown came under fire for exempting farmers from the mandatory cuts — farmers use 80 percent of the state’s available water — he was unmoved.

They’re not watering their lawn or taking long showers,” he told ABC’s “The Week” the Sunday after he announced the restrictions. “They’re providing most of the fruits and vegetables of America to a significant part of the world.”
You mean, past charging for the water you can't make even more money by taxing their labors......As to providing "most" of the fruits and vegetables, I wonder what Mexico and the Canadian greenhouses have to say about that?

Now I don't want to go off on a tear about California, yet frankly there are some very BAD reasons as to why some of the most fertile ground in the nation has not been used for farming for some time, though at one time truly did provide most of the nations produce.....and all of that land was either along or East of the Mississippi.

Though no expert on the issue, when you look back at California's agricultural and water issues history it quite often seems to read like one bad decision covered over by the next all driven by quite frankly greed and then ultimately a refusal to change......Same thing for Las Vegas in that why limit the growth when you can simply buy what you want, and when you can no longer buy it then try to force it through annexation based upon "need" for the good of those who made the bad decisions in the first place.

I'm sorry, I realize that is unsympathetic sounding toward the average citizen, yet it is not meant to be.....It's meant to be critical of an either corrupt or at the best short sighted government and the greed of a few that after depleting their own natural resources began to eat away at other states and is now screaming for even more in that it is an UN-Self sustainable situation.

Perhaps it is time to kill the fatted calf.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:29 AM

itchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant future

Look at the California drought this way... Without rain we don't have to worry about the manure from the cattle farms running onto all those crops and causing all these food borne illnesses... But then again with all these water cut backs bureaucrats probably think it's better to just cut the water used for migrant workers to wash their hands... Need that water for the crops!
mcnerney and GrtLksMarlin like this.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 AM

mikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtLksMarlin View Post
Perhaps it is time to kill the fatted calf.

B.E.F.

What does that mean?
Old 05-06-2015, 10:20 AM

GrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to behold

It's from the bible though in actuality means celebrate, later to celebrate the fruits of ones labor....How I implied it however was in the regard that the calf (California Agriculture) had grown fat off of those bad decisions eluded to above, and now has become a ravenous insatiable beast past when it should have been slaughtered.

Meaning, just because California agriculture has been steadily establishing itself for a hundred years, it has grown well past the point of where it should have been allowed to....However, why show a bit of reasonable balance when you can simply alter the world to suit your needs?

It's on par with lets say I decide to grow Tomatoes around an oasis in the middle of the desert. Instead of accepting what the limits are, I then start expanding making a fortune, and do so time and again and drain other oasis to compensate....and when I want to do more then lean on that states government to give me this guys and that guys water under the premise of "well my farm needs the water, and btw, I pay taxes on what I sell.".....So they ration everyone else's water simply so I can stay in business.....and it goes on and on.

Does that sound like a good plan to you? Fair? Balanced? Or does it sound like I should have stopped the farm's growth when my oasis could support no more.......or perhaps not have tried to grow tomatoes in the middle of the desert in the first place?

Point being, California Agriculture just like Las Vegas has outgrown what could sustain it simply in that it generated revenue and those existing farms which suffered in yield per acre then instead plant more acreage to compensate therefor needing even more......I get that the region has gone through some bad times weather wise, yet frankly a lot of that is very likely the nature of the region.

In any case, what say we use a bit of history to see if it has been a good plan to date, this relates to the Dust Bowl of the 30's....

Quote:
Patrick Allitt recounts how fellow historian Donald Worster responded to his return visit to the Dust Bowl in the mid-1970s when he revisited some of the worst afflicted counties:
Capital-intensive agribusiness had transformed the scene; deep wells into the aquifer, intensive irrigation, the use of artificial pesticides and fertilizers, and giant harvesters were creating immense crops year after year whether it rained or not. According to the farmers he interviewed, technology had provided the perfect answer to old troubles, such of the bad days would not return. In Worster's view, by contrast, the scene demonstrated that America's capitalist high-tech farmers had learned nothing. They were continuing to work in an unsustainable way, devoting far cheaper subsidized energy to growing food than the energy could give back to its ultimate consumers.
Something to consider....
B.E.F.
mcnerney and itchmesir like this.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:41 AM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

From reading the article it sounds like the government backing of the corn industry and subsidizing it has made it difficult to start farming other products like fruit and vegetables. California cannot produce the fruit and vegetables it once did so the other states need to change production just like California has to.

“I’m not really pessimistic. If we decide we want to change agriculture, I think it’s quite conceivable that we can recreate this whole food system,” he said. “We just need to wake up to the fact that we’ve got a problem and start working on it. Once we do that, the solutions are there.”
Old 05-06-2015, 10:42 AM

mikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant future

Thanks...I agree.

If you or I wanted to really understand how Ca got in this mess it would take a great deal of research, but overall, from the LADWP theft of the Owens River water or the boondoggles of the Claire Engle days one must only follow the money to eventually understand.

Nut growers (in the news yesterday) plan to increase production by 3-5% per year in the future. There also appears to be a coming surplus of Almonds, so it's likely California's water can sit in Silos, stored as almonds.

We are NOT talking about family farmers feeding Californians or America.

We are talking about Stuart Resnick at Paramount farms wanting his full bonus.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingduck View Post
From reading the article it sounds like the government backing of the corn industry and subsidizing it has made it difficult to start farming other products like fruit and vegetables. California cannot produce the fruit and vegetables it once did so the other states need to change production just like California has to.
I agree 100%! Instead of subsidizing continued "unsustainable" genetically altered and sterile corn production, perhaps they should subsidize capital equipment replacement....Further, perhaps Almond production should not be supported nearly as much be it through resources or whatever, and believe me, they'll still make their profit if not more in that the price will shift due to the lower supply compared to the demand.

Las Vegas on the other hand perhaps will take bulldozers....In most places in the world when the well goes dry you either move the town or just let it die, perhaps it's time to quit gambling away our resources.

BTW, before anyone wants to ask "what it has to do with me living in Michigan"....Well, California and other states have been dying to drain the great lakes even further...In fact I saw a proposal the other day in the news to deliver water by train-car out West....Where do you think they'll want to get that water from?

B.E.F.
mcnerney likes this.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:15 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

B.E.F.’s comments are not without merit.

From out here in the sticks.
If urban Californians could see what's been going on up here for the past several weeks and will continue until the crops come in. Medical centers from Yreka to Chula Vista would be overwhelmed with suburbanites having conniption fits. A million man march on the governors office would be sure to follow. The media is only covering a very small portion of the whole.
As we write, the State of Jefferson is chugging down water at a jaw dropping rate. You simply have to witness it on a daily basis, to believe it.

Come on Governor, the pain needs to doled out even handedly.

Dave
Old 05-06-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
B.E.F.’s comments are not without merit.

As we write, the State of Jefferson is chugging down water at a jaw dropping rate. You simply have to witness it on a daily basis, to believe it.

Come on Governor, the pain needs to doled out even handedly.

Dave
Dave...how are the "Jefferson" folks chugging water?

Thx...