The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 11:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default This is brilliant !

Beer Company Develops Edible Six-Pack Rings That Feed, Rather Than Kill, Marine Life
Quote:
99% of seabirds are expected to have plastic in their guts by the year 2050.
This is unacceptable, and a Florida-based brewery agrees.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:48 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is brilliant !

Sounds good. Night crawler cups and one time use minnow buckets should follow. I can't count how many of these I have picked up. Steel beverage cans were a good idea too. Although heavier they go away eventually.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:23 PM

itchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not fix the problem of jackholes littering... let's just make garbage edible
Old 10-06-2016, 05:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

A rather good idea; hope it takes off industry wide ... I won't hold my breath.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:27 PM

rodteague is just really nicerodteague is just really nicerodteague is just really nicerodteague is just really nice

I applaud the concept; and from a stewardship/conservation perspective it makes sense. However, the statistics sited in the story are a total load of Bravo Sierra. Environmental fear mongering at it's worst. Too bad they've aligned themselves with the worst of the environmental movement. They would would have been better served to align with conservation groups such as TU, DU, NWTF, WU, RMEF, IGFA and even ICAST, AFFTA, IFTD and SHOT.

These groups have a vested interest in a healthy eco system and represent actual sportsmen who consume the beverages and pay most of the taxes that go towards management of fish and game. Instead of fear mongering, they would get more traction by being a bit more reasonable and not loose the deep pockets and influence the hunting and fishing industry has to offer. Putting it another way ....... Who do you think is more likely to bend the ear of Anheuser-Busch, the conservation groups mentioned above, or Green Peace? I'd be getting another publicist. Oh well.

Regards

Rod
Old 10-06-2016, 07:41 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Will 'they/other's' make a dent ... probably if you join the 'March.'

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Lao Tzu"
Bigfly, hairwing530 and ejsell like this.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:42 AM

rockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant future

I always cut mine so that no holes are left to trap birds at the dump. The same with the rings holding lids on milk and other containers.
fredaevans, hairwing530 and ejsell like this.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:59 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure industry has done the math and voted no, but I have long wondered why waxed (or similar), cardboard food containers largely went away and petroleum based packaging products took their place. Paper industry has died and the trees used are basically grown as renewable crops for many decades. You don't need to mow down redwoods.

The product in the O.P. is novel, but what small percentage actually finds it's way to the ocean where it might be eaten? Biodegradable would seem more important than actually attempting a a likely inefficient method of feeding the birds.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
......., but what small percentage actually finds it's way to the ocean where it might be eaten? .
What I see is actually pretty shocking.
So many plastic bottles, piles of them. Much of which are water bottles

Mylar balloons. They should be banned.
Supposedly they're mistaken for jellyfish in the water and get eaten by turtles, but just looking at them as litter, it amazing how many you see.

But it's the stuff that "'tangles" that's the real problem. Fishing line, rope, old nets, and yes, 6pack rings.
I see it all time. Piles of seaweed all wrapped up with rope and mono and plastic, dead birds, bottles, tampon tubes (?)

A headless seal in a ripped-up net once...somebody was pissed

I've never taken pictures of the garbage, but if you google "beach garbage" you'll see.
I do have a few pictures of what I call beach art. Flotsum sculpture

Not flotsum exactly.... old ship wreak.

fredaevans, hairwing530 and ejsell like this.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:20 PM

Rip

I don't underestimate the amount of littering at all. It's pretty depressing what happens to my small streams and lakes sometimes. There are a lot of products that could be done away with and pretty minimal inconvenience on our part. Six pack rings are among them. A 12 pack comes in cardboard so what's the big difference? Just a few pennies I'd guess.

I had a neighbor lady that used to boldly toss trash out her car window and didn't care whose yard it blew into. One day a policeman finally saw it. Pulled her over and told her if she could find the cigarette pack and pick it up he wouldn't write her a $100 ticket this time. She was so mad and complained to everyone how disrespectful he was to her. We were all just dying
hairwing530, dragon11 and ejsell like this.