The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > News & articles for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Alaska's true reality show: salmon or gold mine

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Alaska's true reality show: salmon or gold mine
Old 12-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alaska's true reality show: salmon or gold mine

Paul: Great story on the Pebble Mine, I sure hope Alaska puts a stop to this plan!

Larry

Old 12-22-2010, 01:07 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

There was an article in the Anchorage Daily News today written by former Alaska Senate President Rick Halford. A Republican who has otherwise been pro development in Alaska but like another notable Republican the late Senator Ted Stevens have long stood against what might be the worst nightmare to a freshwater fishery proposed in modern times.
Pebble would become long-term liability: Compass | adn.com

This is one of those issues that is near and dear to my heart. If anyone wants to discuss the issue further I would be happy to participate.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This is a difficult thing for me to even think of let alone get caught up in. I have fought many environment based battles, first as a volunteer in the early 80's and then as a legislative liaison representing some of the best known environmental organizations in America on both the State & Federal level. By 1988 I was finished, exhausted, and ready to return to a quiet life as a traveler and fisherman. I stay apprised of the Pebble proposal and numerous other big ticket threats to our environment at large but I no longer want to fight. I vote, I have my hopes and fears, but I do not allow myself to become obsessed with the thought that I can somehow effect a sea change single handedly.

It's sad, but true,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

The truth is I've heard of the Pebble Mine project, but today is the first I've read anything about it and just from what I've read so so far I believe to allow this Alaska's and our nations leaders would have to be brain dead. I'm amazed the idea is even being entertained by any of them.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:04 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

National Geographic lost ALL credibility with me and most of the residents of Puerto Rico after they ran an article about the island's culture in 2003: PUERTO RICO HERALD: Is the current National Geographic article on Puerto Rico generally accurate and fair? My wife is a native of Puerto Rico, and we visit the island regularly. The NG article might just as well have been based on a trip to Mars, as it had nothing to do with reality. The link above does not begin to express the outrage voiced by the island's residents, but it gives a hint.

I'll go to a more reliable source for info about the Peeble Mine issue. I have read about it in fly fishing magazines, and it's always dis-heartening to see one natural resource abused to exploit another resource. The unfortunate fact is money talks in these cases, and gold is worth way more than fish right now. Warren Buffet recently made a public comment regarding gold investments, saying that gold is worthless as an investment in an economy, society, etc: it just sits there doing nothing. That sums it up for me.....
Old 12-23-2010, 04:40 PM

guadalupetrout is on a distinguished road

GOD! Can you believe people suck THIS much! It ticks me off that we live in a world where money is everything. I think it's retarded that a multi-billion dollar company would ruin thousands of peoples lives, doing the only thing they know how to and have ever wanted to do, even though the company is doing just fine on their other mines.
I know a lot of people think I'm being idealistic and all, but I just don't think this should happen. Would you throw a dog off a cliff to get the 20 bucks it's blocking?
O well, I'm sure there are enough people against it for it not to happen. I would hate to see such a great fishing spot get destroyed. I don't think there's a member of this site who would want that mine to start.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:10 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
The truth is I've heard of the Pebble Mine project, but today is the first I've read anything about it and just from what I've read so so far I believe to allow this Alaska's and our nations leaders would have to be brain dead. I'm amazed the idea is even being entertained by any of them.
Politics is why it is being considered. If this sort of mineral deposit was located elsewhere the situation would be entirely different. The mining companies are claiming some really gaudy numbers in terms of mineral material and the potential value. A half trillion gets thrown around regularly.

The problem is that this is basically the rise in the tundra where one end drains down the Kvichak and the north end drains down the Nushagak rivers respectively. Downstream represents probably the most economically valuable salmon fisheries in the world. This location is the last pristine mega scale salmon and specifically red(sockeye) salmon left in the world. Totally wild, zero hatchery fish, no dams, certified sustainable with a large commercial harvest upwards of 30million caught. Little to no subsistence limitations. It is also a multi-million dollar sport fishery and it still has millions of escapement fish to ensure a healthy resource.

In comparison the famous Kenai River will have an end season escapement of 500-750k average. The Kvichak saw that much escapement in a 2-3 day period.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

There has been plenty written by a large number of other sources. I would imagine that you could find one of suitable credibility. You can visit the Pebble Partnership page and read what the miners have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
National Geographic lost ALL credibility with me and most of the residents of Puerto Rico after they ran an article about the island's culture in 2003: PUERTO RICO HERALD: Is the current National Geographic article on Puerto Rico generally accurate and fair? My wife is a native of Puerto Rico, and we visit the island regularly. The NG article might just as well have been based on a trip to Mars, as it had nothing to do with reality. The link above does not begin to express the outrage voiced by the island's residents, but it gives a hint.

I'll go to a more reliable source for info about the Peeble Mine issue. I have read about it in fly fishing magazines, and it's always dis-heartening to see one natural resource abused to exploit another resource. The unfortunate fact is money talks in these cases, and gold is worth way more than fish right now. Warren Buffet recently made a public comment regarding gold investments, saying that gold is worthless as an investment in an economy, society, etc: it just sits there doing nothing. That sums it up for me.....

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
This is a difficult thing for me to even think of let alone get caught up in. I have fought many environment based battles, first as a volunteer in the early 80's and then as a legislative liaison representing some of the best known environmental organizations in America on both the State & Federal level. By 1988 I was finished, exhausted, and ready to return to a quiet life as a traveler and fisherman. I stay apprised of the Pebble proposal and numerous other big ticket threats to our environment at large but I no longer want to fight. I vote, I have my hopes and fears, but I do not allow myself to become obsessed with the thought that I can somehow effect a sea change single handedly.

It's sad, but true,

Ard
I like to joke and say when asked that I was "smart enough" to be born in Alaska. With that being said, the politics in this state in the first decade of the 21st century, have been a true story that if written as fiction would be written off as unimaginable.