The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 01:39 AM

funforfree33 is on a distinguished road
Default Starting Fishing?

Hey. I was just wondering when everyone starts fishing arounf Ulster county. Not only fly fishing but trout fishing in the resivoir with lure or live bait. When do you think they will start bighting? I wanna go out but I doubt anything will bight anyone heard of anyone catching anything yet?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Starting Fishing?

Hi funforfree33,

Welcome to the forum. Many of our members may not know where Ulster County id located. You might want to give us a little more information.

If you are new to fly fishing then you might want to think about using the time to improve your casting and presentation. Fly Fishing is not always about the catching. You will be surprised what you can learn just being on the water and observing. The Trout are there all year round. The challenge is figuring out how to catch them early in the season. Get you a log book and keep a history of fishing this reservoir. Then next year you will know what worked or didn't work. Knowing what doesn't work helps you to figure out something that does work.

If the bait or spin fishers are catching fish you can catch them with flies. Just try to duplicate what they are using. For instance, if the bait fishers are catching them on minnows, use streamers that represent a minnow.

So I would give it a go and then come back and tell us the results. With your feedback we may be able to guide to a winning fly or technique.

Frank
Old 03-20-2010, 07:52 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

Here is a thought, today I can't get to a nice river or steam, but there is a stocker lake about 2 blocks from my house, just iced off. My plan is to take some small midges, san juans, eggs, very small drys and give those worm and powerbait fisherman a run for their money. remember a trout's real food is best delivered with a fly rod. instinct should kick in, thus nymphs and other natural food is a better menu item. just my opinion. Oh.....and if you don't hook up, keep trying, all of us on here have had numerous days ( if we admit it ) where we never got a hook up.....but when you do it makes it all worth while.....plus seeing a eagle take a trout from the water in front of you gives you an appreciation for natures best fisherman....
Old 03-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you that may not know, Ulster County is in the Catskills here in NY

Funforfree33-

The general trout season in NYS opens April 1, 2010 but there are some waters that are open all year—generally special regulations (catch and release) sections of some streams.

NYC Reservoirs are also open to fishing all year, but have special regulations: Special Fishing Regulations for New York City Reservoirs - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Note that you’ll need a special permit to fish NYC reservoirs in addition to your NYS fishing license —info is at the bottom of the link.

Here’s a link to NYS DEC’s web page. Fishing - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

From here you can see links on the left of the page to:
Regulations (pay special attention to new rules on possessing and fishing with baitfish if you use them)
Hotlines that will give you updates on local fishing (Ulster is Region 3)
Places to fish
Fish stocking schedules

As a practical matter, with all the rain we’ve had lately, the rivers and streams are roaring and it will take a bit of time before they settle down.

They’re also a bit cold, so things probably won’t get underway until water temps in streams hit 50 degrees.

Your best bet would be to pop into a fishing tackle shop or fly shop up there to find out what’s been happening in the reservoirs and to get some advice on what waters may be open and fishable near you.

There are some fly shops near you that will give stream reports up there for fishing conditions and what flies have been working. Here are 2 of them:

Dette Trout Flies in Rosco Daily Report | Dette Trout Flies daily updates will be starting end of March, as well as a daily phone recording

Catskill Flies also in Roscoe Catskill Flies

Good luck!