The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 07:07 PM

mrblair is on a distinguished road
Default upstate new york

tried fishing upstate new york on 5/3 and 5/4. i was around malone new york; (lake placid area), tried fishing the salmon river. the water was high due to all the rain. temp. was about 45 during the day and a continuous rain. the conditions were bad but coming from florida i fished anyways. didn't see a rise, didn't have a hit. fished nymphs, copperhead nymph whitch is my go to fly and no hits. IT WAS MISERABLE. LOVED EVERY MINUET OF IT. To qoute tred barta 90% of the battle is just getting out there. looking for some trout fishing closer. tenn. south or north carolina, any suggestions? good luck guys. excuse my spelling
Old 05-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: upstate new york

If you live in Florida the closest I know of is in North Georgia. If you send A PM I'll name roads and creeks. For Tenn. the only places I have fished for trout there are in Smoky Mtn. National Park. There are also many trout streams that can be accessed by hiking from the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA. If you are driving home through VA. on Interstate 81 you will go through Troutville. This is around Harrisonberg VA. and there are some trout streams in this area also.

I would offer to direct you to places in N. central Pennsylvania but my friends there tell me that way too much rain has the early season pretty well flooded.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-09-2011, 02:27 PM

flyfishwcu is on a distinguished road

there are tons a rivers and small streams in NC to fish, if you're in the Smoky Mountains then you are not far from any trout stream. However the best river in the southeast (granted this is a personal opinion) for trout fishing is the South Holston river in Tennessee just south of Bristol. Beautiful big river with a huge popoulation of wild brown trout. The fishing can be very technical, presentation and the right fly or nymph is a must but the fish fight like crazy and have outstanding color.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:13 AM

nyadirondacks will become famous soon enough

its not been the best season so far here in ny. tons of snow=tons of runoff. plus its rained continuously with about 1 nice week of weather since april. the salmon river holds monsters. another good place to have tried is the ausable which is not very far. try again in the summer if you can. those rivers have good fishing year round.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Mrblair,