The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 07:30 PM

gillh2o is on a distinguished road
Default Housatonic river, CT

I'm going to be visiting relatives in Ridgefield, CT next week and would like to fish the catch and release area above the Cornwall bridge. I live in Iowa and fish the driftless area of IA,MN,WI on spring creeks. Is it possible to fish this river without a guide. Any info would be appreciated. I usually fish with a 5wt 9ft St. Croix Legend Ultra. Thanks
Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Housatonic river, CT

gill,

It has been awhile (think 1985) but I fished right where you are talking about. I did not have a guide and I caught several trout. The river is quite wadeable unless there has been some significant change. This is a wide piece of water and you should be well off fishing dry flies there. A typical Eastern Dry Fly selection should be in your possession before you put on your waders.

Check for a local shop online to get the lowdown on what to tie. Great and Historic little town Cornwall Bridge, good café's (best mushroom soufflé' I've ever had) and interesting shops, you will enjoy it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-30-2010, 08:25 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a couple of links for ya

HFFA.NET
River Map HFFA.NET

https://ct.outdoorcentral.net/InternetSales/

The cost of a CT fishing license actually dropped 33% a couple of weeks ago
The state had doubled all fees from last season and not only was there an uproar, but no one was buying. They were forced to reconsider.
Of course there's no talk of a refund for those of us who got our license before the reduction
Old 05-02-2010, 10:00 AM

gillh2o is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. I've got my 3 day nonresident license so we'll see what happens. John g