The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 09:58 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Question Any one fly fish the finger lakes?

Hey there guys. And gals. My inlaws live about fifteen minutes from Keuka lake and whenever we visit we often go out on the lake to fish for laker trout. However, from what I understand, there is quite a large population of large brown trout there. I was just curious if anyone had ever tried taking these on the fly out of the lake. What you used, time of year, time of day, etc......
Anything will help.
Thanks.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 06-04-2010, 10:21 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any one fly fish the finger lakes?

.................................................. ....

Last edited by Rip Tide; 06-05-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: tequila
Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I used to fish Seneca for landlock salmon using smelt patterns. The Rainbow run at Catherin's Creek (Montour Falls) was interesting but crowded. I managed some nice browns every fall at the mouth of Dresden Creek (Seneca) also. Had I not moved away I would have explored the tributary streams to Keuka Lake and Cayuga by now. Just the fact that they are full of landlock salmon tells me that by late September there will be runs in the tribs.

Good luck,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-05-2010, 06:27 AM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road

I fish Keuka lake every august. I have never fished for trout there but the bass fishing is amazing. I will catch around 60 smallies and rockbass a day. You don't get to many big ones unless you fish early in the morning or rite before dark. You could probably catch bigger fish in those hot after noons if you bust out your sinking line and fish those deep dropoffs.

As for trout the only thing I can tell you is that they do catch a lot of fish. Never heard of anyone fly-fishing for them.

I stay in the hamonsport motel and and there is a big man made drainage type thing that flows a small creek into a pool if you will, before entering the main lake. I caught a small trout in there on the fly rod. Not sure what species it was, maybe lake trout, but it deffinatly was cool.

I would deffinatly suggest giving the bass fishing a try. A size 4-10 white wooly bugger will be the ticket. Even if its not on the fly, you will catch tons of fish on a small rubber worm.

Bobby

---------- Post added at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 AM ----------

If anyone has information about brown trout on the fly in that lake I would also like to know as I am very curious.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:31 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

If you are going out in a boat then try trolling flies on sinking lines. other wise fishing streamers are always good to use.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..