The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 12:42 PM

nsdrawbridge10 is on a distinguished road
Default hatches

Hey guys I'm new to the site, i was just looking for some feedback. I fish the Quinnie in Holden, and a lot of the other local streams ( the still water, Tb, Ware) and I've noticed this year that there haven't been that many hatches. Its june and I haven't seen any march browns just a few caddis's coming off. The only thing I have seen are Mahogany Duns and i thought it was a little too early for those. I'm not sure if its the high water, or the high water temps just wanted to know what you guys thought
Old 06-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: hatches

Welcome to the forum,

I no longer live in the North East / Mid Atlantic area but have experienced years when mayfly hatches are definitely out of sync from the norm. Given the rather precise life-cycle of certain species I suspect that at times the hatches either occur at a more punctuated rate or we simply are not present when these occur. It seems that many animals who dwell in aquatic environments have certain and differing levels of variance built into their behavior patterns as a sort of fail safe. Such modifications act to preserve the species to some extent.

For instance, although speaking on a different subject; salmon that have schooled at the mouth of a river although ready to begin the spawning migration may hold off from entering during periods of low and warm water conditions. This can only last for so long before the maturation of the eggs and milt being prompted by hormonal activities in the fish must be answered but it does at times hold off a run. Getting back to mayflies, these members of the animal kingdom are reliant upon a rather narrow window of conditions for optimum reproductive activity also. The hatches will come albeit perhaps late and without said optimum conditions less the regional population be in jeopardy for the future.

I am not a student of entomology but have spent a lot of time on rivers, creeks, and streams.

Glad to have you join,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-10-2011, 07:27 AM

willki is on a distinguished road

I've noticed the same thing on those rivers, and the EB of the swift as well. That said, that river has had some crazy good caddis hatching this spring. Overall though, I suspect the water level and temps are the catch that are making things a little funky this year.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:40 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

This sort of thing happened to me on Memorial Day weekend. I was fishing for smallies in a local drainage and notice some mayflies coming off. Nothing rising to them, but sporatically, there were some white flies coming off. I thought they were sulphurs but when I got a closer look, they were all white. I was confused as the white fly hatch is normally a late summer thing. That, and these flies were much smaller than the normal size white flies.

I emailed a local fly shop and asked him if had seen this and what he thought they were. Turns out that they were white flyes that had the right conditions to hatch but were considered "undersized". Strange, but there it is...
Old 06-10-2011, 12:21 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Southeast Pennsylvania:
Compared to last year, there are very few insects hatching...very few! Little midges mostly, and some nice sporadic caddis hatches. Rises are seldom seen to naturals, but they are rising to imitations. I've been using #14-#18 X-Caddis flies, and doing well with them. While the midge hatches seen to be the only game in town, I'm offering them much larger flies and they
seem to appreciate the meal. Actually, I toss the X-Caddis flies right into the middle of a cluster of dark midges, and they
take the X-Caddis pretty quickly.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 AM

team7x is infamous around these parts

No question, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the normal schedule of hatches in NE US on many rivers. We fish the Natchaug in Eastern CT and a look at the the following: USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 01120790 NATCHAUG RIVER AT MARCY RD. NEAR CHAPLIN, CT
will give you and idea why. From barely a flow a few days ago to high water conditions; from hot to cool; and this pattern has repeated itself throughout the Spring. The hatches have been inconsistent and sparse and the fish unable to establish any rhythm as far as taking insects on top.

Much of our success and that of our guests have been on emergers just under the surface when the trout let even naturals pass by on the surface undisturbed. Soft hackles and CDC emergers have been particularly effective in the surface film or just under. An abnormal year hatch-wise for sure!

team7x.com