The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 AM

waynej is on a distinguished road
Default Planning a trip - Battenkill River - Vermont

I need some help from the professionals up north.

My wife and I have a few days off for the July 4th weekend and we are thinking about heading to the Battenkill River for fishing/camping.

I'm coming from Pennsylvania and have not fished in that area before.

- Is this a river you can fish year round? If not, are there others in the area that you would recommend?

- Any specific hatch/time of day I should focus on?

- Has anyone been to the Fly Fishing Museum and is it worth the stop if we can make the times they are open?

- Are there any forest camp grounds you would recommend? We are not the Jellystone Camp ground type.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning a trip - Battenkill River - Vermont

Hi, been out of town, (fishing ) otherwise i would have responded eariler
Some great fishing in southern VT, and the Battenkill is not the only game in town.
The Battenkill is a pretty technical trout stream. Lot of pressure with educated wild fish
Personally I'm partial to the White River and it's tributaries and the east branch of the upper Deerfield myself, but the Metawee is also in the Manchester area if you're set on going there.
Both the museum and the Orvis store are worth a visit.

Lots of good camping options in the Green Mtn. National Forest
Green Mountain National Forest - Camping
Along with the established campgrounds there's some primitive free sites as well, but they might be snapped up (and noisy) on a holiday weekend

...... also the Vermont state park campgrounds are outstanding !
http://www.vtstateparks.com/

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 06-22-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:28 PM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

Vermont has a large number of small streams that support native brook trout. Bring a light weight rod and drive East if your coming off the Batenkill. Access is usually not an issue, seeing most of Vermont is not posted and the locals don't mind. I would suggest a GPS or a map dedicated to Vermont to get you back onto a main road. Hint: fill up your gas tank before you go exploring.
The water should be down low and with the water down low you can land a number of fish in a short period of time with dry flies.
You may find this more enjoyable than the Batenkill.
Good Luck on your trip. Vermont is a beautiful state.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 PM

sbourdelais is on a distinguished road

hey, i'm new to the forums, but i was also just at the battenkill yesterday and today. right now, the water is really, really low. like, hard to fish low. making this already difficult river even harder. i would recomend going to orvis and asking around there about good spots, and even getting a guide.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:14 AM

bigspencer is on a distinguished road

IME the Battenkill Was, cuz of slope from the state line on into NYS, more pushy...with nice pockets here & there inside the NYS line...on down for next 10 or so miles. Compared to other streams...it's early season hatches were its strength.(just my limited experience...maybe different now.)
$.01
Old 04-10-2011, 08:13 PM

woollybuggerman will become famous soon enough

While in Manchester, take time to tour the Orvis rod making factory that is behind the Orvis flagship store. When I was there this past August, I was the only one for the 10 a.m. free tour so I had an opportunity to ask all kinds of questions. To say the tour is "informative" is an understatement. Also, the American Museum of Fly Fishing is definitely worth your time.

On my trip, I stayed at the Quill Gordon B&B in Arlington, VT, which is right on the Battenkill. The owner, Martin Oakland, is a guide and works for Orvis as a casting instructor. As mentioned, the water is technical and was low when I fished it. In fact, Vermont was experiencing some very warm temperatures as one day it reached 90 degrees. However, Martin directed me to an area that was fantastic and I was pleased with my success. I wish you the best on your trip plans.

Jim
Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 PM

bm3moose is on a distinguished road

Lake Shaftsbury State Park is a great place to camp and is really close to the battenkill just south of Manchester. I went there in October and we did some off season camping. The campsites have 3 sided enclosures which are perfect to ride out storms and sit right beside the lake. If I were to camp there again that's what I would choose. The guys at the Orvis store are pretty knowledgeable too.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I only have one thing to add to the comments other guys have given you:
If you're going to fish in VT, bring your non-felt soled boots. Felt was outlawed as of 4/1/2011 in our state.