The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 03:00 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blown Out - But Fishing Well

When I was home last week, I only had 3 days to fish; which generally means that I'm going to fish every day come hell of high water.

Well, high water came. It poured all night on Friday and when I got up the size of the puddles had me thinking about run-off from the headwaters of the creeks that I wanted to fish that day; the Broadhead and Mud Run.

I stopped in at my local Fly Shop again; just to see what they had to say and to pick up any pointers that they were giving out for these conditions.

"it's all blown out........it'll probably take until at least Monday to get back to normal water flows........maybe this is a good day to work on the honey-do list....etc."

Well, I didn't have until Monday, so I decided to give it a try with my old trusty brown-water flies. I stocked up on big, bright Stimulators and the largest Chernobyl Ants that I could find in the shop. $12.00 later, I was out the door an on my way to Mud Run.

I've always had good luck in run-off water with these patterns. My thinking has been the fish are always hungry, but that they can't as well in the run-off, so you need to get something big and bright in front of them. Stimi's and C-Ants fit right into that category, if you want to fish on the surface, which is always my favorite kind of trout fishing. The visible take on the top just gives me a jolt that the underwater take doesn't.

Well, a big C-Ant with a hairy tan underbody, a couple of casts at the tail of a nice run and it was fish on! I landed half a dozen trout in 30 minutes, including a trio of net-busters and a couple of smaller members. And I hooked more than I landed.

Then I decided to cross the stream where it went around a small island and move to another pool where I've hooked big fish before. With the run-off water, the crossing was, shall we say, interesting....

Well, I got to the second pool, cast out and, bang, another one. But, he broke me off and took my fly in the process. No problem - right? Wrong. I reached for my big C-Ants and realized that I'd left them in the car. I had a couple of smaller C-Ants with me and tied one on. Not a single bite in 20 minutes.

So, it was back across the creek, back to the car, grab the big C-Ants, re-cross and head for that pool again. And - it was fish on, again. One right after another. And these were pressured, educated fish.

So, I'll take the blown-out stream; any day, as long as I have a couple of good sized C-Ants and some bright Stimi's with me.

Pocono
Old 08-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blown Out - But Fishing Well

Congrats AllanI once had to pay a bottle of Champagne betting I could catch trout on dry in muddy waterswill never make such a silly bet again!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Allan,

You did well, I'm home right now because of high flows. It has been raining for 6.5 days. Not a downpour but steady and my destination river is no doubt high and turbid. I am looking to tomorrow depending on what happens up the valley. You gotta remember that the 'valley' is about the size of Vermont so keeping tabs on where it's raining is hard to do.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,

At least up here in the Poconos, fishing a big, bright topwater fly in fast-flow, muddy conditions seems to be the ticket; if you want to fish dries.

Have you tried a bright fly, like your Skykomish Sunrise, in fast flows? I'd be surprised if you couldn't stimulate some takes on a fly like that(?)

Allan