The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 AM

waynej is on a distinguished road
Default Rangeley Lake, Maine in Sept

Looking for some advice. Heading to Rangeley Lake area the 2nd week in September. I've never been but read online there is a good population of large brooks and salmon in some of the feeder streams.

Any recommendations as where to fish and which flies would work that time of year?

Also is there a local fly shop you would recommend?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rangeley Lake, Maine in Sept

You will be there just in time to catch the fall spawning migration of the land locked salmon. Check the Regs. carefully and tie some Nine Three streamers in size 2 - 6, September is a tad early for the Brook Trout spawning season but they will take the Nine Three also. I never fished the Rankly Region but traveled to the Moosehead Lake area and fished many rivers from Jackman down to Millinocket from 1980 - 1994. During those years I used many of the traditional flies for the area but the Nine Three was best.

Have fun & don't forget the rain gear,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Rain gear and warm clothes! There's a big flyshop in Oquossoc that you can't miss. I think Rangeley Region fly shop in Rangeley might be out of business. Traditional New England streamers, caddis dries and don't forget the soft hackles! I caught the largest Landlock I've hooked to date on a GR hare's ear soft hackle at Upper Dam. Oh, and believe it or not, white wooly buggers.

Get a DeLorme Atlas and Gazeteer for Maine; you can use it to find all the moving water you want.
Gary

There's good cabin rentals at Haines Landing on Mooselookmeguntic, too.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:22 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

... I'm pretty sure that the Rangeley Region Sport Shop is still there..

I've fished the Kennebago and Cupsupic rivers, but I think the place to go in the area is the Rapid River between Richardson and Umbagog lakes.
Upper Dam, of course, was the home of Carrie Stevens, so that gives a clue on the popular flies.

My very first fish on a fly, a fly that I "tied" myself, was at Mooselookmeguntic Lake when I was 7