The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Northeast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/)
-   -   LI area freshwater fishing-trout (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/18157-li-area-freshwater-fishing-trout.html)

dsssox13 06-21-2010 03:11 PM

LI area freshwater fishing-trout

I go to school in LI and im looking for somewhere to fish for trout. I dont know of any rivers or streams on the island, but was wondering if anyone has info regarding areas around either NJ or counties more north. Thanks a lot

Hardyreels 06-21-2010 04:57 PM

Re: LI area freshwater fishing-trout

Sox,

I have included a couple good links here and some text taken from memory. Sometimes when a post shows up here it jogs my mind and I have to stop and say "its been awhile but I did that".

I have not been to Long Island since the seventies but............ look for the Carmans River. This is a spring creek actually and it holds an interesting history. Here's a link,
This is where Daniel Webster is said to have caught the largest Brook Trout in US history that had been recorded up to that time. The debate continues on this, see this link; Carmen's River

At any rate I'm sure things have changed since 1977 but by visiting the flow and carrying a fly rod while doing so you will be fulfilling one of the many steps on the path of angling history that I have traveled. Incidentally, I did manage a couple brookies while there. They were small and possibly stoked but still...........

Ard

dsssox13 06-21-2010 05:34 PM

thank you very much, that helps out a lot

Hardyreels 06-21-2010 07:54 PM

I think there are some other springs on the Island but I have never had to time to find them. The Carmans was a place I had read about when I was young so since I lived a mere 370 miles away I went.

You can get to the Rosco NY area without too much trouble, there you can find some dandy fishing. I used to get into that area pretty often.

Ard

Fly2Fish 06-21-2010 09:08 PM

PM Peregrines on this; I believe he lives on Long Island.

Not too long ago on Trout Unlimited's On The Rise there was an episode on fly-fishing Long Island. While some of the show was devoted to the salt (Bluefish &, as I recall, Stripers), a good part of it was on freshwater fly-fishing for trout. While that episode isn't running currently, perhaps they have a website archive where you can watch the show online.

peregrines 06-22-2010 12:37 AM

Hey dsssox i saw your PM and replied to it, but for others yes there is some trout fishing in the Carmens River in Smith Haven State Park out in Yaphank. Some of the fish in the lower sections are stocked browns and rainbows, but the upper section has wild brookies (very small). There is a nominal fee (2 bucks a day) to fish it.

And there's some old European style "beat" fishing on the "Nissy" and "Conny".

The fishing is by reservation for a 20 fee to fish a 4 hour fishing session on an assigned beat for stocked trout.

This style of fishing is found on the Nissequeogue River in Caleb Smith State Park in Smithtown and the Connequott River State Park in Oakdale. It can be a little like shooting ducks in a barrel. The Conny had a hatchery that supplied bot the Nissy and the Conny with tons of trout, and some real hogs. But the hatchery has been shut down due to a virus, and it will be years before it is on-line again. In the meantime the fishing.

There are also some tidal stretches of both the Nissy and Conny that hold some trout. These are outside and below the parks, but these stretches can be very difficult to access because on parking restrictions and private property.

There is also an excellent fishery on the West and East Branches of the Crotion River in Westchester and Putnam counties.

The Catskills would be a good weekend trip from LI to fish Beaverkill, Willoweemoc, Esopus, Neversink and the Delware (mainstem, east and west branches).

But as i also said in the PM, if you're on LI, you'll be very close to some striped bass and bluefish.