The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 09:21 AM

ct_fisher is on a distinguished road
Default Napatree Scheduled for Friday Sep 30. Need help

I have never fished Napatree Point in RI and this area is vast and I would love to see my 9wt dance a little that day .

For those that have fished it with some success can you share with me here or with a PM on where I should give it a try.

I have spent many fish-less hours and a worn-out shoulder this year at Quonnie albeit daytime fishing and have a lot of flies that I have tied this past winter .. Some are browning and have never seen a fish.

Please help me at least get the reel to scream and the rod to bend.. Stripers . Blues it doesn't matter I just need to feel something other then a snapper.

I have given some thought to weekapaug breachway as well but everything I read says you need to fish from the jetty and honestly
I feel better walking around in the water unless there are spots I should try there instead

Thanks in advance

Rob
Old 09-27-2011, 03:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Napatree Scheduled for Friday Sep 30. Need help

Assuming that you're wading not boating......
Ignore the no parking signs and just drive in and park at the beach club where the other cars are. You'd get towed in the summer for this but it's okay this time of year.
Both the inside and outside can be good and I walk back and forth to make sure that I'm not missing anything
The best spots on the inside are right at the mouth of the harbor and all the way out near "the pond" where there's some nice flats.
On the outside, I walk the whole beach looking for signs. If you're there at low tide, a long fly cast will hit the drop-off.
Out near the point, there's a boulder field. Hard to wade, but the the fish like it.
If you are brave enough to wade through the poison ivy, there's WWII bunkers to explore out there too

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

I guess that those bunkers are not from WWII but from Fort Mansfield, a coastal artillery installation from the turn of the century.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:35 AM

Thank you .. I appreciate it
Old 09-30-2011, 06:23 PM

Trip was a bust wind was gusting out of the south and there was flood tide
which had flooded the parking lots at the beach club

Image below

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Click the image to open in full size.

So I went to Quonnie and saw no one and no activity after 2 hours of fishing
Went to East Beach and saw no one catching. Beautiful
day but no fish

Rob
Old 09-30-2011, 09:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

One of the first lines in Lou Tabory's book In Shore Fly Fishing
"When the wind is in your face the fish are at your feet"
Remember it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 10-01-2011 at 06:31 AM.