The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 04:52 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Pulaski Rookie visit

Thanks for the recent information guys(seaswan and whalensdad). I just found out that my job that weekend is going to be much more complicated than I thought. I still intend to fish somewhere and somehow but I won't know for sure until Saturday night(19 Nov), that only leaves a possibility of fishing sometime on Sunday on the return trip. Do you know if any of the fly shops mentioned in this thread, are open on Sundays? No big deal if they aren't, I just wanted an idea of some half decent spots and local patterns that may result in a tug(aka......a jerk for a jerk).

Take care.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

I believe they are all open 7 days a week. Here are links to All Seasons and Whitakers. Melinda doesn't have a web site, but if you are planning on going to Altmar, then stop on in.

All Seasons Sports - Salmon River New York, Lake Ontario Fishing, Fly Fishing Steelhead, Lake Ontario Fishing Supplies, Float Fishing Supplies, Fly Tying Materials, Salmon River Steelhead

Salmon River - Steelhead Fishing - Salmon Fishing - Whitaker's Sport Store And Motel

You can call Malinda's to see of she is open on Sunday.(315) 298-2993.

I think she is your best bet because she is right on the water.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:40 PM

seaswan21 is on a distinguished road

That work stuff just gets in the way of good fishing!!!
Old 11-12-2011, 05:11 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

HMMMMMM? trying to remain optimistic and present a positive and mature attitude but it's getting tough!!!!!!! I just found out that my trip will be delayed until the weekend of 2 December!

What does this mean in terms of fishing?

I looked my work/fishing buddy in the eye the other day and asked "WTF" ( sorry), can't we get a break?

First week of December it is; anything going to change for us?
Old 11-12-2011, 05:46 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Don't worry too much, I'll still be in town that weekend, and I can still get you guys on fish as long as the guides on my rod aren't freezing up too much and if you don't want to make the long haul out to Pulaski. I may be scouting a closer local spot tomorrow. My fishing buddies have led me to believe the fishing will still be hot at that time, so I wouldn't worry, you guys should still be able to get out fishing!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-12-2011, 05:51 PM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about

I was just here this past week, Monday thru Friday - weather was warm, upper part of the river was very crowded - and fishing was very slow - it seems that the steelhead haven't moved into the upper river en mass just yet - the season for salmon and steelhead seems to have gotten a late start this year -on friday it got much colder, with a little snowfall, and we noticed a lot more hook-ups, and had our best fishing of the week -
hopefully steelhead fishing will be in full swing when you go - good luck - cheers!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:02 PM

Well,

I don't like it, but this is the weekend that I get to go to Wheatfield. Should I even bother to bring my fly rod and try fishing anywhere?
Old 12-12-2011, 12:08 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

tons of steel and browns around. it'll be cold...but good.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-12-2011, 02:39 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Yes, bring the fly rod, bring some fleece or wool fingerless gloves too, but the Ontario tribs should still be very fishable, and you could check out some of the Erie tribs as well. The water levels were high but are dropping toward more reasonable levels. If there isn't any big rain by the weekend you might find yourself in some very good fishing.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-13-2011, 06:49 AM

Thanks guys,

Any specific patterns or rod weight I should consider?