Pulaski Rookie visit

dharkin

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in Massachusetts and have heard about the great (fall) fishing in Pulaski NY for some time but I have never attempted it. I just found out that I will be doing a job in Wheatfield on the weekend of 18 November and wanted to give it a try. I prefer flyfishing but don't know where to go or what to use:confused: Rt 90 is my route home but I wouldn't mind taking a detour to Rt 81N to experience the local flavor. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Dan

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Dan,

I wanted someone with current knowledge to answer your post but also want you to know it was read here. If you don't get some heads up replies by tomorrow drop me a PM and I'll tell you what I can. It's been years but the river still follows basically the same course and the fish are still swimming up from Lake Ontario so what I know will still be valid.

Ard

Reaction score
Where to start.

well, now that salmon season is virtually over, silly season has also virtually ended.
There will still be some salmon tricking in, but i'd say its mostly steelhead fishing up there now. you might get a fresh salmon when you're there, most will be zombies if there are any left.

If you want river maps, i have PDFs I got from another forum, just shoot me a PM and i'll send them from my work computer on monday. I'd advise you to check it out, but if you ask the type of question you just asked here, i.e. saying you're a rookie, they will rip you to shreds. Some of the folks on there dont like their spots to be burned.

Most of the river has public access, and there are numerous parking facilities along the river at those spots. Standard privacy laws apply, i.e. you access the banks to the high water mark, but for the most part this will not be a problem as the practically all the banks are state owned.

There are a couple sites you can check out for local reports.
Douglaston Salmon Run
Whitakers Fly Shop
1880 House

Google these spots and you'll get decent reports for the river daily.

There's a good number of tackle shops, but if you're a fly guy like me, i'd say head to Whitakers which is just off 81 at pulaski heading east on Route 13
In Altmar, (also east of 81 on route 13) there is shop of great repute called Malindas...they have no website, but every forum or post i read recommending fly shops in that area are glowing about Malinda.
There are a couple other stores in Altmar as well.

Ok.
If you have any more questions i'd be happy to help. I'm heading up there Nov 11 for the weekend. Cant wait.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Wheatfield as in the small town just outside Buffalo? If that's the case, let me know closer to when you're getting here and I (or my buddies) can try and put you on some fish. If you're talking a different Wheatfield, I may be less help, but I'm starting to learn some spots near where I am at in Buffalo.

Reactions: Ard

dharkin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I love this site:). When I say that I am a "rookie" that only applies to the area. I have never wet a flyline in the state of New York. I don't blame anyone for protecting their good spots and I would never dream of treading on waters that are near and dear to the local talent without permission (or company). I have heard about the place for years and just thought it might be a good time to hit it as I may be driving close to it on my return trip home. The species of fish is not what is important to me, rather just a place to have a chance of catching something. I spoke to a guy a couple years ago and he stated the following; "Pulaski is great but the fish are really hard to catch, you always hook up but landing them is the problem. Salmon are tough and the place is always crowded". (I said) I heard that there are plenty of big browns too...........Oh sure, he said, "but who cares about the browns? You can catch them any time". Imagine?

gatortransplant, yes, that is the place.
s fontinalis, I will take you up on that offer.

Take care guys and thanks again for the replies,
Dan.

PS>>>>>>shout out to HardyReels, thank you as always for your reply. You are the best.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Dan, Wheatfield is 20 minutes north of me, I used to live 5 minutes from there. While I actually AM a novice, I've started learning some waters around me and if I can't get out of the water with you, I can point you toward some spots. Again, just let me know.

mrfzx

Reaction score
Where to start.

well, now that salmon season is virtually over, silly season has also virtually ended.
There will still be some salmon tricking in, but i'd say its mostly steelhead fishing up there now. you might get a fresh salmon when you're there, most will be zombies if there are any left.

If you want river maps, i have PDFs I got from another forum, just shoot me a PM and i'll send them from my work computer on monday. I'd advise you to check it out, but if you ask the type of question you just asked here, i.e. saying you're a rookie, they will rip you to shreds. Some of the folks on there dont like their spots to be burned.

Most of the river has public access, and there are numerous parking facilities along the river at those spots. Standard privacy laws apply, i.e. you access the banks to the high water mark, but for the most part this will not be a problem as the practically all the banks are state owned.

There are a couple sites you can check out for local reports.
Douglaston Salmon Run
Whitakers Fly Shop
1880 House

Google these spots and you'll get decent reports for the river daily.

There's a good number of tackle shops, but if you're a fly guy like me, i'd say head to Whitakers which is just off 81 at pulaski heading east on Route 13
In Altmar, (also east of 81 on route 13) there is shop of great repute called Malindas...they have no website, but every forum or post i read recommending fly shops in that area are glowing about Malinda.
There are a couple other stores in Altmar as well.

Ok.
If you have any more questions i'd be happy to help. I'm heading up there Nov 11 for the weekend. Cant wait.
I'll be in Albion, on The Oak the weekend of the 11th....hope some browns are still there!!

Reaction score
When I say that I am a "rookie" that only applies to the area.

Never thought of it any other way.

I often check forums for info when i'm not fishing my local waters. And i've found that some are more helpful than others.

You'll do ok here - everyone is more than accommodating. Tons of great stuff to be learned, chats to be had and, my favorite, flies to be swapped. If you tie, i recommend getting in on some of the current swaps (Winged wet and Steelhead are two of the most recent). You'll not be disappointed by the outcome.

whalensdad

Reaction score
Dan,

I'm certainly not an expert on the Salmon River, but since I live in the area and have been there on more than a few times, let me give you these suggestions. If you want to fish in Pulaski, then hit up All Seasons Sports or Whitaker's. Based on what I have seen in other forums, stay away from Yankee Fly and Tackle like the plague. There are a number of fine holes in Pulaski to fish, however they are not strictly for fly fishing.

I've heard good things about the Douglaston Salmon Run from a guy I know who has a yearly membership. If you want a place that limits the number of people and you don't mind paying a little to fish, then this is a great place.
Douglaston Salmon Run, World-Class Salmon Fishing

If you go up to Altmar, then hit up Melinda's. She knows her stuff, is a great help and has fantastic prices to boot. She is located at the Lower Fly Fishing section. Altmar has 2 fly only sections, and if you come in November, both are open. The upper closes on Nov 30th. There are usually quite a few people fishing but no where near what I saw a few weeks ago when it was a "combat zone" out there. You won't ever be alone up there, but you won't be elbow to elbow either. If you want to move out of the fly fishing areas, there are a number of nice pools between Pulaski and Altmar.

Here are some resources you can use:
This is good if you want to know the flow rate of the river.
USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 04250200 SALMON RIVER AT PINEVILLE NY

Here are maps of the river for planning where to go:
FishSalmonRiver.com -- A FishUSA.com Regional Site -- Angler Maps

Here are the DEC Regs for Lake Ontario Tributary's and the fly fishing sections of the SR:
Great Lakes Tributaries Regulations - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Lee

seaswan21

Reaction score
Hi Dan,

I have a good friend with a house in the Oswego area. He mentioned this afternoon that the Brown and Steelhead action in the area is pretty hot as the kings have pretty much run their course. I might suggest stopping in to the hatchery and talk to folks about spots to access. Upper fly zone etc. Fat Nancy's is a pretty full service shop but, I can't speak for the quality of information you might obtain there. Couple words of caution. Wear cleats, use a staff..!
I may be up visiting my buddy that weekend. drop a note and I'll also be glad to assist further if we get a chance to hookup.

Tight ones...
Carl

dharkin

Reaction score
Thanks for the recent information guys(seaswan and whalensdad). I just found out that my job that weekend is going to be much more complicated than I thought. I still intend to fish somewhere and somehow but I won't know for sure until Saturday night(19 Nov), that only leaves a possibility of fishing sometime on Sunday on the return trip. Do you know if any of the fly shops mentioned in this thread, are open on Sundays? No big deal if they aren't, I just wanted an idea of some half decent spots and local patterns that may result in a tug(aka......a jerk for a jerk):icon_smil.

Take care.

whalensdad

Reaction score
I believe they are all open 7 days a week. Here are links to All Seasons and Whitakers. Melinda doesn't have a web site, but if you are planning on going to Altmar, then stop on in.

All Seasons Sports - Salmon River New York, Lake Ontario Fishing, Fly Fishing Steelhead, Lake Ontario Fishing Supplies, Float Fishing Supplies, Fly Tying Materials, Salmon River Steelhead

Salmon River - Steelhead Fishing - Salmon Fishing - Whitaker's Sport Store And Motel

You can call Malinda's to see of she is open on Sunday.(315) 298-2993.

I think she is your best bet because she is right on the water.

dharkin

Reaction score
HMMMMMM? trying to remain optimistic and present a positive and mature attitude but it's getting tough!!!!!!! I just found out that my trip will be delayed until the weekend of 2 December!

What does this mean in terms of fishing?

I looked my work/fishing buddy in the eye the other day and asked "WTF" ( sorry), can't we get a break?

First week of December it is; anything going to change for us?

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Don't worry too much, I'll still be in town that weekend, and I can still get you guys on fish as long as the guides on my rod aren't freezing up too much and if you don't want to make the long haul out to Pulaski. I may be scouting a closer local spot tomorrow. My fishing buddies have led me to believe the fishing will still be hot at that time, so I wouldn't worry, you guys should still be able to get out fishing!

joebloe

Reaction score
I was just here this past week, Monday thru Friday - weather was warm, upper part of the river was very crowded - and fishing was very slow - it seems that the steelhead haven't moved into the upper river en mass just yet - the season for salmon and steelhead seems to have gotten a late start this year -on friday it got much colder, with a little snowfall, and we noticed a lot more hook-ups, and had our best fishing of the week -
hopefully steelhead fishing will be in full swing when you go - good luck - cheers!

dharkin

Reaction score
Well,

I don't like it, but this is the weekend that I get to go to Wheatfield. Should I even bother to bring my fly rod and try fishing anywhere?

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Yes, bring the fly rod, bring some fleece or wool fingerless gloves too, but the Ontario tribs should still be very fishable, and you could check out some of the Erie tribs as well. The water levels were high but are dropping toward more reasonable levels. If there isn't any big rain by the weekend you might find yourself in some very good fishing.