The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 02:05 PM

nhbobcat is on a distinguished road
Default Vermont Steelhead

Looking for some info on steelhead fishing in the Lake Champlain tribs. Best time of year/month? Any intel would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Vermont Steelhead

Hi Bobcat,

Looks like you're new here so I'll say Welcome to the forum first. I did not know there were steelhead in Champlain but if so now would be the time if the rivers and creeks are not icing up too badly. Ice out in spring is next if the season is open then.

I hope there will be someone who actually fishes the area who will post. I never fished lake Champlain or it's tributaries so my reply is just a general rule for fishing this species.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-09-2011, 07:55 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

I am a Vermont native and know the west side of the state very well. The L.L. salmon have just wrapped up spawning and the steelhead have started moving up the tribs. People have started to catch them. Not in any real great numbers but that is never the case.

As far as rivers to fish, I am not going to tell you any because honestly there arent that many and the tribs get a lot of pressure from anglers which means a lot of pressure on the fish. The good thing now is that the regular season is over so its all catch and release.

My best advice is to do some research on the fish and wildlife website:

Vermont Fish & Wildlife

- Tyler

Old 11-10-2011, 09:39 AM

nhbobcat is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your responses. I know the river I wish to target, but was just trying to plan the timing right. I know they run Dec-April. I don't have much time off in Dec (postal worker...holidays...etc), but I've read that in the spring the river can be both high and still iced over. Can't afford to waste my time and money. I usually go to Pulaski the first week of Dec but looking to find adventure in new, less crowded places. Thanks again.

MJ
Old 11-10-2011, 03:52 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

If I am thinking of the same river you are which I imagine I am, it will be fishable through December. It all depends on when and how cold it gets though. Then it will open back up end of march or april. Although it all depends on the weather so it can be hard to say. As of right now, the water is pretty low and the fishing is tough. It would be nice to have a good day of rain to freshen things up.

- Tyler