The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Northeast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/)
-   -   Crawfords notch campground (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/20694-crawfords-notch-campground.html)

joshgamble 06-27-2010 09:54 PM

Crawfords notch campground

Hi all. The missus and I are going camping at Crawfords notch campground in NH in August. Its on the Saco river I believe. Anybody know the area?:worthy:

Rip Tide 06-28-2010 09:04 AM

Re: Crawfords notch campground

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshgamble (Post 102330)
Hi all. The missus and I are going camping at Crawfords notch campground in NH in August. Its on the Saco river I believe. Anybody know the area?:worthy:

Yes, :D

do you have a question?
The Saco through the state park will be little more than a trickle in August

joshgamble 06-28-2010 03:07 PM

Well that blows. Surely there must be rivers close by? I hope so...

Rip Tide 06-28-2010 03:45 PM

I believe that the campground is actually on the Dry River which is larger than the Saco at that point. You should be able to find some either there or downstream. If not head up to the Androscoggin, either between Shelburne and the Maine state line or further up stream toward Errol.(a drive)
Crawford Notch is a very picturesque place to do some hiking. That's what I'd spend my time on.
Excellent views of the Presidential Range from Mt Willey

joshgamble 06-28-2010 10:33 PM

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a neat place.

bmik 06-30-2010 09:32 AM

August will be tough all aroun d there. Stop in at North Country Anglers in North Conway for some local advice. There is a lot of water to fish right around N. Conway including the Saco and the Ellis rivers. They will be low but early & late there are fish to be found. The Ammonusac back towards Bretton Woods and along Rte. 302 can also be fished. But you'll need to drive to these locals. Have fun!

jmcg 07-11-2010 08:30 AM

There are a few very nice small streams and ponds real close that will provide some hiking and fishing fun.
Get yourself an AMC guide. They contain detailed trail and water information and the best topos of the area.

Appalachian Mountain Club

AMC White Mountain Guide Online - Free Trail Maps, Recommended Hikes

dt doug 07-14-2010 08:38 PM

On your way up stop in at North Country Anglers in North Conway. They will have info to get you started in the area. If you like smaller mountain streams check out Sawyer River. As above the Ellis, and the Peabody can be productive.
So much water, so little time!!!!!!

joshgamble 07-19-2010 08:28 PM

Thanls. Will stop in there and have a chat.

deanwo 01-09-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshgamble (Post 112694)
Thanls. Will stop in there and have a chat.

How did the trip work out, Josh? Where did you end up fishing?