The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 PM

psalvatore is on a distinguished road
Default kennebec river

kennebec river in maine what can you tell me about it?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kennebec river

I did a search on the forum for kennebec, there are quite a few references, here are just two that might provide some information for you. Good luck with your information search.

The Fly Fishing Forum - Kicking Back on the Kennebec by John Van Vleet

Fly Fishing in Camden, Maine

Larry
Old 06-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

What would you like to know? I have fished there many times. Please be more specific because as Larry has posted, for a general description of the area you can find this on the internet. If you are planning a trip and can provide dates I will tell you if I have been on the river within the window of time you are planning.

By the way, welcome to the forum, please tell us where you are located and what you would be targeting when fishing .

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-29-2010, 05:03 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I'm familiar with the Kennebec; from Mooshead Lake to the exist off Sequin Island. Mostly, I fish the lower portion; below Bath, in the Summer for Striped Bass. It's a nice Striper fishery.

You'll want to be at least 20 miles upstream from the mouth to get into good trout/other species water. There are several local fly shops that could supply you with either information on the fishing or guiding services; depending on what you're looking for.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 06-29-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 AM

thank you all. i will be targeting trout im from MA. are they natives in the river? i don't have a date planned yet but this summer somtime.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If this is your first trip or if you don't have much time you may want to stick to a simple plan (The Kennebec) but if you like to explore I am giving you some things to ponder below.

There are other streams in the general area that would provide good trout fishing. As Pocono said you need to be a good distance up channel to find trout water and depending on the weather and when you visit the out flow at the Lake can be pretty warm. This will move the trout and salmon down river into deep pools and to the mouths of tributaries.

If I were going to fish for trout I would check the regulations (to be sure it's open) and plan to fish Ragged River out on the paper company lands. You can find this by checking a map and tracing the road from the Kennebec (Jackman) to Greenville, and then from Greenville to Big Eddy. You will find the Ragged crossing the Golden Road about twenty miles or so past Kokadjo. It has been 15 years since I was last there but this was a great place to fish. Prior to my moving away from my home in the North East I fished up there every time I could get away to do it. The stream I am advising sees very little in the way of fishing pressure and is home to some big Brook Trout and gets Landlock Salmon in the fall.

If you want any tips on the water release schedule for the rivers (safety first) check with the security person at the gate to the Golden Road.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-29-2010, 08:40 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalvatore View Post
thank you all. i will be targeting trout im from MA. are they natives in the river? i don't have a date planned yet but this summer somtime.
Hey psalvatore,

I just notice where you're from; Newburyport, MA!

West Newbury is my home town. My wife and I lived in Newburyport for 15 years when we were first married (162 High Steet and 2 Summit Place). We frequently stop in Newburyport and Amesbury to see friends on our way to Maine in the Summertime. Great town, Newburyport (actually, great city, it's the smallest city in the Commonwealth of MA).

We will return to that area once I retire. My folks; ages 92 and 88, still live in West Newbury (10 Harrison Avenue); in the same house where I was born.

FYI - there's a Fly Shop on Route 1A in Rowley, they could probably steer you towards some good trout fishing that's closer than the Kennebec.

Enjoy your fishing!

Pocono
Old 06-29-2010, 09:42 PM

i know the fly shop is called first light anglers good guys in there. and thanks pocono.

Pat