The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 09:37 PM

nyadirondacks will become famous soon enough
Default the small streams of ny

does anyone know of any good small streams throughout ny. i want to use my 2 wt a little more. any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: the small streams of ny

My buddy recently did some fishing in the streams of your namesake. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with those waters yet so I can't fill you in. Check out Saunder's Guide or maybe just use Google Maps/Earth on Satellite mode, should help you dial in. The waters I've been fishing are a bit big for a 2wt!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-22-2011, 11:39 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Fortyfive +/- years ago, I was dunking worms in Hour Pond Brook and the upper reaches of the East Branch of the Sagandaga River. Both are (or were) accessable from the trailhead at the end of Old Farm Clearing Road, past the Garnet Lodge, near the east side of Thirteenth Lake, in North River. Take the Trail to the east for Sagandaga (about a 20 minute walk to the river), and to the south, then the fork to the west to hit Hour Pond Brook (30 minute walk).

You can also take the east fork on the south trail and hit the Sagandaga much further down, where it's bigger water. That section is also accessable on a hike up and over the ridge from a trailhead on Route 8.

Took my sons into the Sagandaga for some wormdunking when they were 8 and 10. Caught a few small native brookies, kept three, roasted them on a stick over a streamside fire, and ate them off the stick, just like my Dad and I had done 25 years before!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 12-23-2011, 05:46 PM

nyadirondacks will become famous soon enough

fire instructor, i have explored the small tributaries of the sacandaga and they are exactly what i am looking for. i love walking up those little mountain streams and catching a trophy of 8 inches
Old 12-25-2011, 07:48 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

there a lot of small streams to fish a 2wt in NY. depends what area you are looking into. Catskills are a great place to fish.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 PM

mattwolf is on a distinguished road

There is also a lot of small streams in Central NY. I live outside of Utica and we have a lot of smaller streams that a 2wt will work just fine on. I use a 6'9" 3wt for a lot of streams between Utica and Syracuse.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:44 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Fire_instructor,

I think I'm going to try to add you to my "friend" list. Only a true gentleman would reach back a few decades with advice for a new guy You are the best.
fire instructor likes this.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:49 PM

mtowner23 is on a distinguished road

If you get down the the fingerlakes region, there are soom good tribs to those lakes that have nice fish. Most are a little difficult to meaneuver, but plenty of small brooks and a few browns.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
There is also a lot of small streams in Central NY. I live outside of Utica and we have a lot of smaller streams that a 2wt will work just fine on. I use a 6'9" 3wt for a lot of streams between Utica and Syracuse.
I'll have to second Matt. If your in the Syracuse area, Limestone Creek, Chittenango Creek and Butternut Creek are all small enough for a 2wt plus they are open year-round for trout.

Lee
Old 02-20-2012, 02:12 PM

mattwolf is on a distinguished road

Whalensdad,

I live in Clinton and the Oriskany runs through my back yard. I have fished the Chittenango, but not the Limestone or Butternut yet. I plan to get to those two this summer along with Fish Creek between Rome and Camden. Let me know if your out and about and I will try to catch up with you if you fish any of these streams. I am kinda new at this whole fly fishing thing and am always looking for experienced guys to go with.

Thanks,