The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 11:56 PM

spencerhicks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to spencerhicks
Default Anyone want to fish FingerLakes/Catskills

Hey everyone, this mild winter is giving me the itch to fish, anyone up for fishing around the finger lakes or western catskills areas? I'm based out of Ithaca and would drive ~2 hours max for a whole day of fishing on a weekend or would love to do something local on a weekday afternoon or evening. The trib fishing should heat up soon here, but most is closed for the time being. Anyways, send me a PM or response if you want to hit the water!

Cheers,
Spence
Old 02-11-2012, 12:38 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone want to fish FingerLakes/Catskills

Good luck with the fishing Spencer, let me know if you want to head over to Buffalo to chase some steelies, people are hitting 'em daily in my area.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 PM

spencerhicks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to spencerhicks

I've never really fished for steelies much, maybe I'll have to give it a go here soon, as long as its not too much of combat fishing. Fishing elbow to elbow has been my biggest turnoff thats prevented me from really getting into steelhead in a serious way.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:51 PM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough

I don't know about this weekend, but I might be up for a trip in the upcoming weeks when things warm up a bit more.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

I haven't gone for steelhead yet but someone told me the Salmon River is shoulder to shoulder. What are some other steel head rivers that are good but have less crowds??
Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Most the steelheading waters around here can be very congested, while at other times you can find them clear. It all depends on the weather and the day, even Oak Orchard Creek can be clear some days, and it's usually quite tight. There are definitely waters that are more clear, but those are the kind of things you don't want to post publicly. All it takes is a few internet posts to turn a spot into a shoulder-to-shoulder mesh. I'm still learning the waters that get less pressure, but it's sure nice to catch fish when its just you and your friends on the water, or even just yourself. Come on over to Buffalo, we'll chase the fish in some less pressured waters!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...