The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Cougars about?

Thought this might be of interest to those in the NE- Ain't lion | Gristmill: The environmental news blog | Grist

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cougars about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Thought this might be of interest to those in the NE- Ain't lion | Gristmill: The environmental news blog | Grist
Yup, most folks up here in Northern New England that I know have never been convinced by any of the agencies or their biologists (who don't even know what a rock bass is... that's a longer story for another time...) that the big cats were all gone. Scarce maybe, but who's to blame them for that?

TL's~
Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
(who don't even know what a rock bass is... that's a longer story for another time...) TL's~
Is it time yet? Aw, come on. You can't toss that out there without elaborating.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:55 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
Is it time yet? Aw, come on. You can't toss that out there without elaborating.
Ok... well, nah... too long, I type too slow, and the story will lose a lot not being told in the flesh.... and it's damned funny too!

TL's~
Old 05-08-2008, 08:08 PM

Wannabee is on a distinguished road

The reports are every where here in central PA , doing what I do , I am in alot of people's homes and I hear the same arguement about the conspiracy of the Moutain Lions.
I have heard it all , from the "Hey , that makes sense" to "Are you off your medication?" But I Have also seen evidence , from a good friends game cam.The real good part of the story is that his father works for the game commision.
I do believe that it is possible that they are making a resurrgence , possible that it may have been a captive cat that got away.Who knows , maybe one day there will be a press release saying that they are amoung us!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:44 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Northwestern Michigan went through this same thing several years ago. My brother and I actually saw one cross the road in front of us. We looked at each like we each thought we were crazy. At that time, the DNR said we were seeing things - or, we were told we just saw a large house cat. (What we saw was way too big to be a house cat.) Now, the DNR has warning signs posted notifying people about the existence of the cougars in the area.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:09 AM

Brunner is on a distinguished road

We have a huge Cougar problem in Dallas, but it's mainly at the bars!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Cougars are huge animals. There is no way that someone would mistake one for a house cat. By the way, California doesn't have Cougars, they have Mountain Lions even though they are the same animal.

Frank

Cougar
Click the image to open in full size.

Mountain Lion
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Last fall my wife and I were manning a poker run stop for the local bike club. We were at the WyColo lodge in the Snowy Mountains. One of the first couples to check in reported a cougar had run across the hwy between their two bikes. Needless to say they were pretty excited.

Larry
Old 05-09-2008, 12:16 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

We have them in Maine....the MDIFW refuses to acknowledge this. They admit that if they were here they would have to "protect" their home areas. Putting an end to all wood harvesting in that area.....check the endangered species act.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"