The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM

tahdi is on a distinguished road
Default RI has banned felt boot waders

I purchased a pair of felt boot waders from Orvis. A very nice item. Sorry to say, they've washed their hands of them now that they are illegal. LL Bean is replacing felt sole with lug sole for people in this situation. I should have saved some cash and bought from LL Bean. They back their items. I just want to give you folks a heads up. Nice waders aren't cheap. I'm sure you can guess who I won't be buying from in the future. Darn shame. They are a nice product.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: RI has banned felt boot waders

You can always buy stocking foot waders and buy the boots separately. That allows you to adapt to the surroundings or fishing environment. Just a thought.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RI has banned felt boot waders

Beans has always gone "far and beyond" to stand behind it's products
No other outdoor retail company comes close. Not Orvis or anyone else.

As for Rhode Island, they're trying to protect the Wood River watershed, which is worthwhile but forcing casual trout fishermen to buy expensive new boots isn't going to help sell a lot of fishing licenses.
When I lived in RI (7 years) I had a few trout streams that fished, but there were many more here in CT that I like better. It got to the point were I only bought a CT license and quit fishing trout in RI all together.
Not saying you should do that, but it's something to think about.
I was told by a state biologist that CT has no plans to ever ban felt.

Welcome to the forum, by the way